BMX Racing

Original Post
Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 8

BMX for life!  Every spring I get the same itch, and the only scratch is to build bikes!  I have given bikes away to people for years just to get them moving through the world on burrito power.  Years ago we started on the single track dirt trails when my son was 4; this year he turned 7, and we dove head first into the wonderful family that is BMX racing!  We now have a small collection of bikes, a quiver with an arrow for every situation.  The garage went from full to brimming with wheels and gears.  I have never had so much fun that I can ever remember.

We have tracks in every major city here in 'Murica.. Once you get involved, you'll wonder how the world hasn't heard of BMX races.  Support from other parents is amazing, and the kids really take each other in to show the ropes to each other, outside the blood bath that is the competition during the race.  I really recommend that you take on this other addicting and incredibly expensive hobby for your kids.  My son has found it rewarding and challenging, and so has pops.

Below is our daughter Luna on her first Strider bike race this week!  The kids can get involved at the age of 2, and nothing is more cute.  From there, they can graduate to a Micro race bike at age 5 usually, then Mini around 6-7, Junior 8-9, Expert 10-11, Pro 12-13, and depending on their height and yours, XL, XXL, XXXL, and 24" cruiser class.

Let me know if you have any questions.  You can get a bike going for $100-$200 on the used market, and upgrade to your heart's content from there.  Happy trails!

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 55

Bmx races bikes imo are the silliest looking bikes (riser bars with tires that are as narrow as some road rubbers...). But watching pro races is f-ing awesome (That huge gap at the olympics track! :D)

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 14,129

BMX freestyle is the best ever!

NorCalNomad wrote:

Bmx races bikes imo are the silliest looking bikes (riser bars with tires that are as narrow as some road rubbers...). But watching pro races is f-ing awesome (That huge gap at the olympics track! :D)

Look at some of the late 90s race bikes. Hilarious frames, scary looking forks. The rhythms are hard enough, jumps are fierce. Looks easy, def not. MTB doesn't translate perfectly to BMX. 

Jay Eggleston wrote:

BMX freestyle is the best ever!

Freestyle gets all the love and attention... never was any good at tricks. I can spin those pedals. Race on!

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888

I remember when we invented it......good times. I had a track in my backyard. A 20" stingray with a 24" fork and knobbies. Ten speed seat, flat bars on a 6" gooseneck. It was a gateway drug for this.......

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply