Partners at Pipeworks

Original Post
Abdullah Mourad · · Elk Grove, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

On the "I want to learn trad climbing" thread there were quite a few mentions of folks that climb at Sacramento Pipeworks.

Myself and 2 buddies try to meet Wednesday and Friday nights at Pipeworks for some lead climbing. We frequently talk about adding a few folks to our group to open up more scheduling possibilities than just those 2 days. This way climbing isn't dependent a single other person's schedule. Ideally for me we'd have some sort of whatsapp group and folks could just ping the group on days that they feel like climbing and potentially find someone else who is available at that time.

If anyone here climbs at PW and is interested in some lead partners let me know and we can figure out a time to hook up. If you don't have your lead card we are more than happy to have you climb with us and follow a few routes and then take the lead test with you.

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 105

I'll make an effort to come down one of these Wednesdays (just not next week).

Brian Floyd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I climb Tuesday's and Thursday's primarily but could also climb on Monday or Wednesday and weeends when I am not climbing outside. My name is Brian Floyd and I normally get to the gym around 5.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,565

My Pipeworks schedule is Tuesday and Thursday evenings from about 6-8:30 +/- Sunday morning 10-12 (if I'm in town). Come by and say hello!

Mike

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,793
M. Morley wrote:

My Pipeworks schedule is Tuesday and Thursday evenings from about 6-8:30 +/- Sunday morning 10-12 (if I'm in town). Come by and say hello!

Mike

Beware the Tuesday/Thursday night crew Abdullah....skeeeetchy folks they are. 

...kidding, take Mr. Morley up on his offer, he is a nice gentleman and knows a lot of folks at Pipeworks, which may help you find more partners. On top of that, Tuesday/Thursday tends to attract more outdoor regulars because you can get your two training days without negatively affecting your weekend abilities because you have at least one rest day between your weekend climbing and training sessions both before and after the weekend. Just a thought.

johnnyrig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 105

Speaking of Pipeworks, I think their policy of having to "know" someone who's already lead-certified there is kind of shitty. Knowing this, I asked the young woman behind the counter if there was some sort of lead-climbing class I could attend in order to earn the card since I don't know anyone who's got the card there (I live in Nevada, so...). At that point, she made the assumption (and the vocal comment) that I clearly shouldn't get a lead card since I obviously don't know what I'm doing (because, you know, I asked about a class).

So in short, screw them (and especially that snot-nosed little mouth-breather) for being an exclusive club.

That said, for those of you who still enjoy the atmosphere, I hope your idea works out. Sounds pretty cool. Especially the part about helping others get their card. I applaud you.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420
johnnyrig wrote:

Speaking of Pipeworks, I think their policy of having to "know" someone who's already lead-certified there is kind of shitty. Knowing this, I asked the young woman behind the counter if there was some sort of lead-climbing class I could attend in order to earn the card since I don't know anyone who's got the card there (I live in Nevada, so...). At that point, she made the assumption (and the vocal comment) that I clearly shouldn't get a lead card since I obviously don't know what I'm doing (because, you know, I asked about a class).

So in short, screw them (and especially that snot-nosed little mouth-breather) for being an exclusive club.

That said, for those of you who still enjoy the atmosphere, I hope your idea works out. Sounds pretty cool. Especially the part about helping others get their card. I applaud you.

Don't take it so serious though I am sure the slight stung. Customer service is a nightmare and no one is always on their game like they should be. I think you'll find the PW crew (in my experience) is trying to do their best most times. I doubt she intended to insult and it didn't come out right.

Given the state of liability law these days I am sure they are trying to have policies that balance many factors out. Needless to say it will inconvenience some, maybe save the life or serious injury of another? The idea is that they don't want someone getting 30 feet off the ground and THEN find out the person they brought in to belay doesn't know how to belay someone safely, with catastrophic consequences...and yes, as well people routinely fail these tests...

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,793
J. Albers wrote:

Beware the Tuesday/Thursday night crew Abdullah....skeeeetchy folks they are. 

...kidding, take Mr. Morley up on his offer, he is a nice gentleman and knows a lot of folks at Pipeworks, which may help you find more partners. On top of that, Tuesday/Thursday tends to attract more outdoor regulars because you can get your two training days without negatively affecting your weekend abilities because you have at least one rest day between your weekend climbing and training sessions both before and after the weekend. Just a thought.

You don't have to "know" anybody to get a card, you just need to convince someone to take the test with you. That is hardly unique to PW. If you want to complain about something worthwhile, then complain about the fact that they require you to lead a 10+ cleanly to get your card (or at least they used to). Really they do this - though they won't tell you this - to try and cut down on inexperienced lead climbers. It is indeed a pretty harsh cutoff. And yes, they occasional have someone behind the counter that is a snot for no reason, but every gym has this problem and PW actually has some really nice people that work there too. Annnnd, the community of climbers at PW is pretty sweet. Probably the nicest group of regulars of any gym I have been a member of (which is many). Just sayin, simply because there is one snotty girl behind the counter doesn't make the whole place a craphole.

J. Albers wrote:

You don't have to "know" anybody to get a card, you just need to convince someone to take the test with you. That is hardly unique to PW. If you want to complain about something worthwhile, then complain about the fact that they require you to lead a 10+ cleanly to get your card (or at least they used to). Really they do this - though they won't tell you this - to try and cut down on inexperienced lead climbers. It is indeed a pretty harsh cutoff. And yes, they occasional have someone behind the counter that is a snot for no reason, but every gym has this problem and PW actually has some really nice people that work there too. Annnnd, the community of climbers at PW is pretty sweet. Probably the nicest group of regulars of any gym I have been a member of (which is many). Just sayin, simply because there is one snotty girl behind the counter doesn't make the whole place a craphole.

That's one thing I really appreciated about Planet Granite when I was in the Bay Area - 2 people could test at the same time so you just needed a rope and a willing partner (even if they didn't have a card). I definitely got lucky meeting someone at Pipeworks who offered to rope up so that I could take the lead test.

I was actually surprised by the 10c requirement for the lead test (especially given that they set 10a and 10b routes as well), but it ended up not being too bad.

I have to agree with you about the folks at PW. Everyone I've climbed with there has been super mellow and just psyched to be there. I also find everyone of their staff that I've interacted with to be very pleasant and personable.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I look forward to climbing with you! I'm personally mostly limited to Wednesdays and Fridays for the time being but as my schedule opens up and I can get there on other days I will certainly be looking up some folks on this thread! And if you find yourselves out on a Wed or Fri, hit me up!

Michael Hahn · · Roseville, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I head down to PW whenever I have the opportunity, try to get down at least 2 times a week. Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town starting mid June through August, but hopefully I can hook up with some of you folks around then. 

419 · · Sacramento · Joined May 2010 · Points: 535

I am moving into the area in mid-June. I'll be looking to climb indoors and outdoors. Feel free to contact me through MP. 

-Jonathan

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply