Mountain Project Logo

***TOTEM CAMS black to orange (preorder), Kailas Nuco/Totem Basic and Kailas Emery Nuts***

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Nick Haha · · Baltimore, md · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 130

There’s much better places to discuss this then Marc’s for sale page.  This isn’t fair to him or what he’s trying to do.  This should of been through private email to Marc.

Embarrassed to say · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 5

Your right, he’s been great....agreed. Totem and Kailas not so great.....I bought them through Marc.

Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440
Embarrassed to say wrote:
EMAIL...

"Firstly: This is a Kailas Gear product which is named Totem, and as you know, if buy something from Kailas', you become a Kailas customer, not Totem MT's.  If you have a problem with Kailas product, you should contact with Kailas.

Secondly: This is not a defect.  The only way to break the trigger wire ropes is using the cam out of the utility range. The trigger wire ropes are not able to maintain any weight. Of course, it could cause an injury, but we are not responsible of the bad use of the cams.

Thirdly: As I told you, we can repair it. You can download the cam repair form here:

https://nextcloud.totemmt.com/index.php/s/QXnQJOoRsSrKNJY

Regards,"

Jon Basterra
Totem MT, Koop. Elk. Txikia
Phone: + 34 943 555 465
www.totemcams.com

It was China holiday beetwen sept 29 and Oct 8. Everything was close in China so that's why you got no reply from your email.

Jon was maybe a bit direct on his comments but at the end, he's right. After all, this is a Kailas cam but in fact who care. It won't change anything if it's kailas or Totem because this damage is not cover by the kailas or Totem warranty like BD did not cover the trigger wire. Customer service of either brands will not replace or repaire the cam for free. Wires and parts could break like all cams of any brands. What we wants to know is who can fix that and this is where Totem MT comes to play. Because it's in Spain, shipping is expansive but it's seem simple to do: fill the forms and send the cam to Totem. So everybody can send the cam to Totem but yes it's more expansive than shipping inside the country. I feel mad this thing make you sad. Can you show us what questions you ask to have this answer from Jon? If money is an issue do you thing you can shove or welding the cable. It's will not be possible to repair the main cable and I won't trust myself for this jobs but the trigger wire looks possible to be handjob at low cost. We can try something together. If I can help you I will do it. 

It was trickier to write this in English. I wanted to be constructive. Hope it's the way you got it.

Appreciate the offer,but it’s more of a learning lesson on my part. I honestly would have never though the cable would snap like that....and that easily/soon. Something I’ll need to take into consideration with future purchases. Other cams are easy to fix-Totems are not. Also Jon was short, if you put your name on the tag (TOTEM) , and make them in the same factory....oh well.

Thanks Marc.

Maybe Kailas will respond...I’ll give them the benefit of doubt. 

Mason Stone · · Island of misfit toys. · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

You mean fixed by hand. Or something we can fix, not low cost hand job as that's something else.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,832
Mason Stone wrote: You mean fixed by hand. Or something we can fix, not low cost hand job as that's something else.

You're absolutely right. Low-cost handjobs should be posted in the Great Deals thread.

Mason Stone wrote: You mean fixed by hand. Or something we can fix, not low cost hand job as that's something else.

The downside with totem, like DMM, is the need to ship oversea for repair. Personnaly I would pay totem for the repair but if a fellow want to do the repair at a low cost and I could somehow help, I am available. The wire is only use to retract the lobes, it's not a structural piece and do not take any load, so yes, if money is an issue I don't see why it can't be hand made repair at a low cost. It is a non life threatening structure in the cam. If a trigger wire broke in a middle of El Capt you will did any cheap job possible to make the cam back in the rack. 

On a good note, no other cam would have hold on a marginal 2 lobes placement. It still better and a lot more cheaper to fix a cam then fix a body. 

This is the first broken wire reported to me. This seem an uncommon issue. 

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

You're absolutely right. Low-cost handjobs should be posted in the Great Deals thread.

I like it. 

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Marc-Olivier Chabot wrote:

I like it. 

I like that you like it..

Mason Stone · · Island of misfit toys. · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Marc,
I think you are missing the meaning, hand job is American slang for a particular sex act. Just for your information.

I think people understand you are just trying to do right by the customer.

Mason Stone wrote: Marc,
I think you are missing the meaning, hand job is American slang for a particular sex act. Just for your information.

I think people understand you are just trying to do right by the customer.

Dammit.

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Even better now!

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 71

pmed

....update Kailas has more dismal customer service than Totem, they don't even reply. I'll "jimmy-rig" my Totem cable, but in the future I'm going back to Metolius and BD. I guess(?) a cable shearing at the pin/crimp like that is my fault anyway. 

Embarrassed to say wrote: ....update Kailas has more dismal customer service than Totem, they don't even reply. I'll "jimmy-rig" my Totem cable, but in the future I'm going back to Metolius and BD. I guess(?) a cable shearing at the pin/crimp like that is my fault anyway. 

I'm not dealing with the usual Kailas customer service but I heard they are very slow after a week-long holiday.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

FOR SALE / FOR FREE / WANT TO BUY
Post a Reply to "***TOTEM CAMS black to orange (preorder), Kaila…"