Spain: looking for a partner all summer

Original Post
Anya A · · Fort Collins, Co · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

I will be in Pamplona, Spain all summer (June 4th - August 10th) au pairing and I would love to get out and do as much climbing as I possibly can during that time. I have the weekends free and would definitely be interested in traveling to some nice climbing destinations in the north of Spain. I have the most experience sport climbing and feel comfortable leading up into the 11's or 6c. I feel comfortable following most things. I also have some good experience traditional climbing, but I wouldn't want to lead anything harder than a 5.9. Please let me know if you will be in Spain during this time and would like to meet up and do some climbing! 

andy basabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 35

Anya, 

I am finishing up a year working in Spain, in a small town called Aranda de Duero, closer to Madrid.  This summer, I am going to be riding my bike through Spain, not sure where I am headed exactly, so I can't commit to any plans, but I will let you know if I come through Pamplona.  Etxauri, which is maybe 25 minutes from Pamplona, is a world class climbing area.  Long limestone sport routes looking over a green valley.  There is even a refugio built into one of the walls.  Get there if you can, spaniards are friendly, and i bet you could meet some people.  Climbing is also a great way to practice Spanish, as there is a common vocabulary.  There is at least one climbing gym in Pamplona, that could be another place to get started.  

Climbing is the second most popular sport behind football in Navarra, so I don't think it will be too difficult to find a good group of people that like climbing.  If you want help, I have a couple friends there that I could connect you with.  

My whatsapp (mandatory in spain) number is +34 681 619 963.  Let me know if you have  any questions, and I will let you know if I come that way in june/july.  

andy

Anya A · · Fort Collins, Co · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

Andy thank you so much for your response. I am already here in Pamplona and I have found the climbing community to be very friendly. I already have a key to a little gym here that the community is going to let me use for free. I don't think I will end up going to Etxauri since it is in the sun and it is already pretty hot here and will only get hotter. I have been very lucky and have already had the opportunity to climb in a new location near Pamplona called Salvatierra de Huesca. Please let me know if you end up coming through Pamplona or maybe we can find a place somewhat nearby to meet and climb for a weekend? I have the weekends available. A very kind friend of my host family has even let me borrow a rope and quickdraws from him for the summer. I will contact you on Whatsapp and maybe we can meet up! Thanks again!

Anya

Maryse Fagnant · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hi!

I'm also in Spain, until the end of July, and looking for climbing as well. I'm in Barcelona right now, but I'll move to the north to visit some of the national parks. I might go to Pamplona soon since I have a contact over there, and I would love to join you for some sport climbing! I'm not as experienced as you seem to be, I don't climb trad and I usually don't lead more than 10s, but I can offer a good belay and I'm happy to follow on harder stuff! I have good experience with multipitch though. Here's my WhatsApp +1(514)7943144, you can write me there so I have your contact for when I'll be around (if you're interested)!

See you,

Maryse 

Stephanie Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hi,

I am in Spain working as an au pair as well in a town called Beasain (not too far from Pamplona) and I have been looking for the climbing community around here as well. I would love to meet up some time or if you know of any good spots so far!

~Steph

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply