Okanogan Miscellania - Worth it?

Original Post
jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

I'm gonna be in Mazama this Memorial Day weekend doing some climbing with a bunch of other people most likely.  I was scoping out some of the other regional crags on MP here under the "Okanogan" heading, and was unfamiliar with them.

Taken on face value, it looks like there's some fun moderates at Mount Hull and around Tonasket.   Are these worth checking out as a way to avoid crowds?  I know it'll be warm (maybe too late in the spring?) and I gotta be on the lookout for rattlers.  I can't tell how easy it'd be to hit these as a non-local.  I'd appreciate suggestions / guidance.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

I assume you'll be climbing at Washington Pass, which is twenty minutes from Mazama? That should be tops on your list.

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/washington-pass.html

FrankPS wrote:

I assume you'll be climbing at Washington Pass, which is twenty minutes from Mazama? That should be tops on your list.

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/washington-pass.html

I don't think so;  it's still ski touring season up there with our above-average snowpack.   I haven't seen pictures of WA pass since the highway opened last week, but I suspect routes are drippy with significant snow patches on summits and ledges still.  Not really what I'm after on this particular trip.

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 375

I'll be in the area, most of my family lives along the Okanogan. 

Loomis/Mt. Hull/whistler/burge/mcloughlin etc. is roughly 2.5 hours from Mazama with the current detour. (HWY 20 is closed at loup loup pass East of twisp)

most of the areas are pretty easy to access, just respect closures and private access, most people out there like their privacy and are FIERCELY protective of their land.

It'll be in the 90's so be prepared to seek shade around 11 am. also, WATCH YOUR STEP!!  I've never seen more rattlesnakes in my life, and I'm a reptile hobbyist/enthusiast.

Loomis/Mt. Hull/whistler/burge/mcloughlin etc. is roughly 2.5 hours from Mazama with the current detour. (HWY 20 is closed at loup loup pass East of twisp)

Thanks Kyle, I wasn't even thinking about this issue.

GTD · · Bowen island, BC, Canada · Joined May 2015 · Points: 5

Mazama was great last weekend. Climbing on goat wall was great. Washington pass is certainly snow covered. Here's a pic of the way through on Monday. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply