Mountain Project Logo

RIP Tomas Beck

Original Post
Douglas Dye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Tom Beck of Las Vegas NV, passed on due to organ failure,  Sunday June at age 70.  Tom was a life time climber with years spent in Yosemite valley, Joshua Tree and the last 20 years in the Las Vegas valley.  Tom was a prolific route developer in and around Mt Charleston, Red Rocks, Keyhole Canyon and west of Search Light, NV  Tom put up climbs in the 5.7 to 5.10 range that benefited the majority of the climbing community.  He was a great mentor to many beginning climbers - always making sure they were learning safe techniques.  Tom also had a teasing side that made climbing fun.  He was still active on the rock up to the week prior to his passing.  A memorial is being planned, please watch this posting for a date and time. Come join in sharing your memories of Tom and hosting a beer to his memory. 

Douglas Dye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

This following was posted by Joy Jones on Facebook:

We were unable to get the Blue Diamond Community Center for a Memorial for Tom- I would like to meet as a group at Mt. Charleston, Mary Jane Falls Trail parking lot under the Aspen Trees facing the Universal Wall at 10:30 on Saturday June 3rd. We can share for an hour or so and then hike up and climb all Tom's secret routes on the Universal Wall and all his posted routes on Sesame Street. Please join us for an hour at least of fun-filled memories. Bring your lawn chairs. 

Hope to see the climbing community support this memorial - I'm not sure how many appreciate the time and money Tom spent over the last 20 years developing routes enjoyed by many.  Learn about his posted routes on Sesame Street and his secret routes on the Universal wall, Dirty Little Secret and Griffith Ledges.

peepeedance · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 240
peepeedance · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 240

Sorry, I see the other thread now under "Nevada". Thank-you BigB for your original post.

Thomas Beck · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,040

To peepeedance, I'm Julie Brenner and knew Tom Beck since 8-2006 and climbed with him and helped him put up numerous routes.  I have his cat Amy. and his son has his other cat Natasha that he has had since last July.

Joy Jones · · Boulder City, NV · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 60

Thanks to everyone who came out! I enjoyed all the stories about Tom. We had a good time on the Universal Wall too. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "RIP Tomas Beck"
in the Memorial