RIP Tomas Beck

Original Post
Douglas Dye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Tom Beck of Las Vegas NV, passed on due to organ failure,  Sunday June at age 70.  Tom was a life time climber with years spent in Yosemite valley, Joshua Tree and the last 20 years in the Las Vegas valley.  Tom was a prolific route developer in and around Mt Charleston, Red Rocks, Keyhole Canyon and west of Search Light, NV  Tom put up climbs in the 5.7 to 5.10 range that benefited the majority of the climbing community.  He was a great mentor to many beginning climbers - always making sure they were learning safe techniques.  Tom also had a teasing side that made climbing fun.  He was still active on the rock up to the week prior to his passing.  A memorial is being planned, please watch this posting for a date and time. Come join in sharing your memories of Tom and hosting a beer to his memory. 

Douglas Dye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

This following was posted by Joy Jones on Facebook:

We were unable to get the Blue Diamond Community Center for a Memorial for Tom- I would like to meet as a group at Mt. Charleston, Mary Jane Falls Trail parking lot under the Aspen Trees facing the Universal Wall at 10:30 on Saturday June 3rd. We can share for an hour or so and then hike up and climb all Tom's secret routes on the Universal Wall and all his posted routes on Sesame Street. Please join us for an hour at least of fun-filled memories. Bring your lawn chairs. 

Hope to see the climbing community support this memorial - I'm not sure how many appreciate the time and money Tom spent over the last 20 years developing routes enjoyed by many.  Learn about his posted routes on Sesame Street and his secret routes on the Universal wall, Dirty Little Secret and Griffith Ledges.

peepeedance · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 240

I'd like to thank those that posted this news. There was another thread, but now I can't find it. Anyhow, I'm grateful, and extremely sad, to know about the passing of Thomas. 

As Douglas said, Tom was a true asset and friend to the climbing community. He certainly was to me when I was living in LV. He had some pretty amazing "secret spots" in his arsenal. He was gracious, fun, generous and a wealth of stories and experiences. It was a true challenge to get him to laugh at my stupid jokes. Try as I might. Usually the crusty layer would wear off by mid day and I would catch him "secretly" smiling under his brim . The thing that impressed me the most about Thomas, sadly, was the amount of pain I believe this man lived with. He never complained. Never said it out loud. But I know...you could just tell, this was a guy that lived with great pain, yet got up every day and toughed it out, not letting that pain rob him of life, his passion for climbing, and all things outdoors that he loved. Truly inspiring and tenacious.

The tribute Joy is planning sounds perfect for Tom. I wish I could be there. I'm sure Tom's friends have the same, but I do have some of his hand drawn maps and descriptions of routes he was working on Universal wall. Happy to share if/only if, appropriate.

Condolences to all who loved, cared about, and appreciated Tom : ( . 

Also, please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but Tom had a cat that he loved dearly and it would break my heart (and his) for her to wind up somewhere scary. Did one of his friends take her?  I think one of the greatest gifts we can give people that we've lost, is to make sure their pets are cared for lovingly and placed where they can live safely and happily.

RIP Tom, 

Tracy

peepeedance · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 240

Sorry, I see the other thread now under "Nevada". Thank-you BigB for your original post.

Thomas Beck · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,040

To peepeedance, I'm Julie Brenner and knew Tom Beck since 8-2006 and climbed with him and helped him put up numerous routes.  I have his cat Amy. and his son has his other cat Natasha that he has had since last July.

Joy Jones · · Boulder City, NV · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 60

Thanks to everyone who came out! I enjoyed all the stories about Tom. We had a good time on the Universal Wall too. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply