Miguel's at RRG... Fridge?

Original Post
Austin Fort · · Kennesaw, GA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Does anyone know if there happens to be a communal fridge to store small perishable food items at Miguel's? I haven't been in a year and honestly can't remember. I'm planning on spending the summer at the Red and would love to have my eggs in the morning is all. 

Thanks

Derrick Keene · · Kentucky · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 90

I don't think there is, but I am not 100% sure as I've never looked for one. I just haven't seen one. If you can find someone who has some chickens you don't need to refrigerate the eggs.

RobMcV · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0
Austin Fort wrote:

Does anyone know if there happens to be a communal fridge to store small perishable food items at Miguel's? I haven't been in a year and honestly can't remember. I'm planning on spending the summer at the Red and would love to have my eggs in the morning is all. 

Thanks

If you get farm fresh eggs that haven't been washed they will stay good for a few weeks without refridgeration. I am sure someone around slade has chickens and will sell you a dozen eggs a week for fairly cheap.  

Benandstuff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 378

Eggs dipped in paraffin wax is another way to preserve eggs for a while. It simulates the natural membrane around the egg that US law dictates must be washed off before selling eggs. Just don't let them get too hot.

But buying eggs from a local sounds even better, as they will be guaranteed fresh and will stimulate the local economy.

evan h · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 205

Perhaps a cooler?

Mike Knight · · Canton, Mi · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Great idea. I have used one of these before and they work really well at keeping things cool. 

evan h wrote:

Perhaps a cooler?

Austin Fort · · Kennesaw, GA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Great idea with finding a local place to buy. A cooler isn't great for a weekend, but I don't want to constantly buy ice. Thanks everyone!

Andrew Vinzant · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 333

Eggs last for a while at room temps, even cheap Walmart eggs. If unsure put one in a glass of water. If it floats the egg is bad, if it sinks the egg is good.

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 60

I've done week long camping trips in which I did not refrigerate eggs. Normal, BigAg white eggs. People are too nitpicky about what needs to be refrigerated.   You're more likely to get sick from washing your dishes in the communal sink at Miguel's anyway!

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 25

I bet your local egg sources could sell you unwashed eggs if you make friends

Brandon Ribblett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

there is no community fridge at miguels, ice and a cooler are the way to go. 

Jameshew12 Hewitt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

You don't need a cooler. Go on Craigslist and there is a lady who sells farm eggs for $3 A dozen  (unwashed/refrigerated so they last for weeks) right near the exit for the red. I'll try to find the link. It was "southeast kentucky" for the location and talked about happy chickens. I usually get two dozen on my way to Miguels 

Hung Huynh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Jameshew12 Hewitt wrote:

You don't need a cooler. Go on Craigslist and there is a lady who sells farm eggs for $3 A dozen  (unwashed/refrigerated so they last for weeks) right near the exit for the red. I'll try to find the link. It was "southeast kentucky" for the location and talked about happy chickens. I usually get two dozen on my way to Miguels 

I'd prefer fresh eggs.

Jameshew12 Hewitt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Hung Huynh wrote:

I'd prefer fresh eggs.

That's as fresh as you get... they're laid the day you get them probably 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply