Mountain Project Logo

in the market for a new rope

Original Post
Jamie gatchalian · · denver, co · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 370

just looking for people's opinions on what rope they use and why. i have always been partial to bluewater, more specifically the lightning pro (70m, 9.7mm), but am ready and willing to branch out. i mostly sport climb, and the weight of the rope isn't necessarily a limiting factor. something that has good hand and clips well, and doesn't get too stiff and cable-like (the mammut tusk from several years ago comes to mind as being too stiff). preferably with a dry coating just in case, but for the right price this is also not a deal breaker. thanks in advance!

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 277

I'm a big fan of outdoorlab.com for gear reviews: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/climbing/best-climbing-rope

They have in-depth reviews, and separate ratings in various categories, so if handling is more important than weight, for instance, you can take that into account when comparing ropes.

I personally have (2) of the Sterling Evolution Velocity 9.8mm, both dry-treated, and like them a lot. (This is their "best buy", and I got both of my ropes on sale, making them an excellent value.)

The Mammut Infinity (outdoorgearlab's editor's choice) is 20% off at backcountry.com right now: https://www.backcountry.com/mammut-infinity-dry-9.5-rope?skid=MAM00DG-OCE-S60M&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6bWFtbXV0IGluZmluaXR5OjE6MjptYW1tdXQgaW5maW5pdHk=  A buddy of mine just picked one of these up, and I'll be climbing with him this weekend. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Sterlings.

Will Haden · · KC, MO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

I have a 70m Lightening Pro 9.7. Not dry treated. New in packaging. PM me if you're interested. 

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I love my infinity classic. Cheap and supple!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

You'll get twenty different recommendations and in the end...you'll still have decide which one.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

it must be very thick, and long, firm with stiffness yet supple

DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 55

Got a Mammut 9.5 Infinity Duodess (bi-color) 70m and really like it.  The bi-color is obvious, rope feeds really smooth, no twists or kinks.  Came highly recommended and it hasn't let me down.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

I just got a Mammut Infinity and like it quite a bit, seems like a pattern is emerging...

I've had a Sterling Marathon Pro for a couple of years which I also like. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive.

I also have an Edelweiss Energy which I don't much like. Between the dry treatment and the 1-over-1 weave the friction in belay devices is shockingly low.

Adam Fleming · · Dillon, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 303

My friend got a Sterling Fusion Ion R 9.4mm.  Wow, it feels great in my hands!  It has been holding up well to rough rock in J-Tree and sandy Moab climbing.  Definitely picking one up for my next rope!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply