High Peak Wilderness ADK - Black Flys?

Original Post
Jacob palmer · · Akron · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

So I was planning on heading up to the High Peak Wilderness area this weekend but have never been in the area when Black Flys have been active. Any tips or tricks? How bad is this going to be? Any route recommendations outside of "The Diagonal" to climb?

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,332

Ben's 100 and a headnet mask are smart precautions. Rubber bands for shirt sleeves and light gloves if they are really bad...

I was planning on picking up a headnet today...I didn't know how climbing in one of those bad boys would be though

Kevin Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 183

I was there last week, May 15th-19th and the black flies were just starting to bite. The flies might be out around crags around Chapel Pond but will likely not be an issue in the High Peaks. There is also significant snow above 3500ft, Have you climbed routes around Avalanche Lake. If not you should check it out. 

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,366
Jacob palmer wrote:

Any route recommendations outside of "The Diagonal" to climb?

Upper Washbowl on Giant Mountain if it's open (I think it is, peregrine closure is in the lower area).  Not as long a hike as Diagonal but a few high quality routes and linkups.

Gothics has some slides but as someone pointed out, there's still snow on the peaks and there's probably runoff/wet streaks on those slides.

Moss Cliff might be closed, but that would be another spot for a 5.10c leader.

Do you have the two volume guide?  There's a lot not on MP.

I do have the two volume guide. I will have to check out avalanche lake and Upper Washbowl. It sounds like we might be able to avoid some of the black flies in the high peaks but I think I will still be bringing some netting for my face at the very least

Any idea how long it will take the high peaks area to dry out after raining? it's looking like rain tomorrow (friday) but clear on saturday and sunday.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,366

Not enough rain actually falling to be worried (only about 0.50-0.75" total forecast).  If it was inches then yes it could be a while.  You should be more concerned with seepage from the spring thaw that's still occurring (someone who has been there and who frequents here would need to chime in, and they haven't yet).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply