Mountain Project Logo

Frost Nip/ Mild Frost Bite Advice

Original Post
Spanky V · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 90

Hey all,

Just got back form an Alaska Trip and unfortunately got a little frost nip or mild frostbite on my toes.

Went to the doctor and they said there is no tissue damage and most likely only superficial nerve damage which is good news 

However, I still have a bit of tingling/ burning and pain in my toes.  It was feeling better until I went climbing at Indian Creek this past weekend and I think that really pissed them off.

Anyone have any experience with treating/ recovering? 

Wondering if there is anything I can do to accelerate healing? 

Any ideas how long this will last or the chances of it being permanent?

Thanks

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

Best thing you can do is to not piss them off again. 

Next best thing is to ensure they have good cerculation. No tight boots/shoes, but use them as much as you can. 

As as far as how long it with take to heal, could be weeks, could be months. It just depends on how bad they got. 

Frank F · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2010 · Points: 0
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

I have nipped my toes twice. Nerves take a while to recover. You may think they are fine cause the tingling went away but they were probably still 4-6 or more weeks out. If want to make the them happy where nice wide toed shoes and do not climb. Oh a be prepared that they will probably get cold easily again.

Harry Netzer · · Roxbury, CT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 145

Take a little time off. I had frost bite with lots of blistering. It healed completely over a couple months and sensation returned.

Spanky V · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 90
Allen Sanderson wrote:

Oh a be prepared that they will probably get cold easily again.

Yeah I was afraid of this, I used Spantiks with the stock liner and was considering getting the intuition Denali liners to add some warmth.

Any other extra warmth tips/ tricks are welcome if you have them

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Frost Nip/ Mild Frost Bite Advice"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started