WTB: #5 and/or #6 BD/WC cams

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Jason Baksh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Looking  for one or two large cams to send a short ow. 

Hiro Kurotsuchi · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 300

PMed

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 410

I purchased the BD #3 x3, the old school BD 3.5 x 2, and then went with the WC #5 x 1 and the WC #6 x 1. I have used the WC #5 and #6 multiple times and have have been very pleased with their performance. The #6 has only been placed, 30 times maybe, but of those 30 routes, half of them, if not more, are routes that probably wouldn't have been done otherwise. The savings are great with the WC too and they make great cams! I want to say I just saw a memorial day sale somewhere that had those cams for a good price too. Look around, should be able to find it if searching thru all the usual suspects.  my $0.02. 

Cool thanks, the input is greatly appreciated. Basically just looking for a few wide peices to add to my rack. I am guessing you prefer wc over bd for wide cracks? 

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

To add a contrasting point of view:

I was climbing the final pitch of Reid Pinnacle Direct in Yosemite and my partner had convinced me to bring his WC #5 instead of one of my trusty BD cams. Once I got into the 5.10a flare my only pro below me was three old pitons (the last one a half driven knife blade). I placed the WC cam, squirmed up a few more feet, tried to bump the cam and one lobe over rated and got stuck in the crack, while the other three lobes stayed cammed. I started cursing wildly, eventually gave up fiddling with the stuck WC #5 and desperately climbed up high enough to place a BD #4. No longer scared about taking a fatal fall into the chimney I finished the pitch. 

Needless to say I think that BD cams are way more user friendly and easier to bump. Don't think I want to sell any of mine though if you give me an offer I'll think about selling you a 5 and 6.

Ah..the reeds direct route!!! 3 lobes are better than two!!! Lol......Nice!!!, i remember doing the reeds pinnacle a few yrs ago. Didnt do the 10a finish, went right at the top of the second pitch. Later i found out one doesnt need a big cam due to the small crack on the main wall...i used to do laps on that 2nd pitch tho..very nice "welcome to ynp climb". Uh...i have an agreement with another person currently for no. 5 and no.6 so i will leave you alone with your cams :>)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply