Mountain Project Logo

dirtbagging/free camping near CO Springs

Original Post
Crack Slabbath · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 500

I have to report for "work" in Salida at the beginning of June but I'd like to climb the North Ridge and New Era at Garden of the Gods with a Denver buddy before then. Is there any where to camp for free (or close to it) around the springs? I love the camping at Shelf but that's a bit far. FWIW, I have a Tacoma with the back built out and can stealth camp in a parking lot or something but would prefer not to. 

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Head up Rampart Range Road into NFS land.

Thanks, Jim!

edward hart · · Lee Vining · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

If you want to stay closer to Salida, there is a good free campground right next to the Arkansas River. I forgot the name, but it's right next to a boat launch ramp west of town on the 50. Has fire pits, pit toilets, and only a moderate amount of homeless people.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

The Springs and Manitou have a tremendous homeless population given their size. I would imagine that since everyone is camping everywhere already, you're probably fine as long as you don't light a dumpster on fire, take PCP, and exchange sexual favors with the pastor of a megachurch for meth.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

The Springs and Manitou have a tremendous homeless population given their size. I would imagine that since everyone is camping everywhere already, you're probably fine as long as you don't light a dumpster on fire, take PCP, and exchange sexual favors with the pastor of a megachurch for meth.

well, there goes my tick list. why even bother going now?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "dirtbagging/free camping near CO Springs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started