NRG AAC Reservation Cancellation Leniancy due to weather?


Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Hey everyone,

So I've been planning my first trip to the New for next weekend (Memorial Day).  When I booked a site, the weather looked great, but it has since taken a turn for the worse and is predicting T-storms both days.  Being that I'm coming from Chicago, that would really suck if we make the drive and don't end up climbing, so I'm considering other options, but the AAC campground has a rather stringent cancellation policy:

"Cancellation Policy
No cancellation charge and 100% of deposit refunded if notice is received more than 30 days in advance of arrival date. 50% of deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received between 7 and 30 days of arrival date. No deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received within 7 days of arrival date. Becoming a member after making your reservation will not result in refunds for the member vs non-member rates for nights already booked."

So according to that, I shouldn't be able to get a refund, which is rather shitty, considering how common it is for weather to take a turn like this.  Has anyone tried cancelling due to weather?  Any luck?

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 770

Weather at the new is very hard to predict in advance. Don't plan or cancel based on a forecast unless you are looking at a major storm with 100% chances of hitting the area.

We've been miserably rained out during sunny forecasts and had amazing rain free days with terrible forecasts. A 60% chance of rain means that it's going to rain at some point - but it could be just an evening sprinkle that never interferes with climbing.

Don't cancel yet - if you can climb 5.11 or higher, there are a few very nice areas that stay dry in case of heavy rains. 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 748

I agree with Brian.  60% and 20% is virtually the same forecast.  Besides, there is climbing to be had if it rains.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,361

Northeast weather is the reason for the policy - they would get stuck with empty campsites every rainy weekend.

I simply no longer make plans more than a few days out.  The northeast weather sucks sometimes.  Plan accordingly, and don't bet your deposit on it.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Fair enough.  The chance is 30%, so I think we're going to risk it...fingers crossed!

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 748
Ted Pinson wrote:

Fair enough.  The chance is 30%, so I think we're going to risk it...fingers crossed!

30% is as good as nothing in my opinion.  There are good options for light rain.  They're listed on the NRG  home page, but I'll put them up here anyway.  The Coliseum at Summersville Lake stays dry.  Narcissus is a good option but may also be occupied by other parties (this is often the case rain or shine).  It's a decent walk in, so take a rain jacket.  If your fingers can bend carabiners, then go to the Cirque- roughly same approach time as the Coliseum, maybe a few minutes shorter.  The same applies, but to a lesser degree at The Hole.  In my opinion The Hole tends to hold humidity more, but it's a really short walk if it's raining, so there's a trade off there.  

If you climb ~5.11 on bolts, then First Buttress at Upper Meadow is a good option.  The same applies at Rico Suave Buttress at Kaymoor.  Both are about the same approach if I recall correctly.  Both have a single 5.10 that stays dry and climbable routes in the rain get harder from there.

There's a handful of gear protected routes that are good in a light rain at Bridge Buttress > Rock Shelter Cave starting at a short 5.7 and up. 

There are single route options too, but most of them are a decent approach in (when I say decent approach I mean 20 minutes or longer) so they're rarely exercised as rain day options.  Back in the Saddle 5.10c at Endless wall is an example.   Depends on how bad you're jonesing to climb.

Diamond point dries the quickest because it juts out into the gorge and gets good wind.  However, I've gone there and been able to climb Strike a Scowl shortly after a rain, but had the classic 10b crack Remission right around the corner still be soaked for the upper half of the route.  So if you venture out after a rain to areas that look like they dry quick, it's still a gamble.

With all of this, you should be able to find something.  That's if the weather doesn't completely dry up, which is entirely possible.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Awesome!  Thanks for the recommendations.

Paul H · · Pennsylvania · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote:

Hey everyone,

So I've been planning my first trip to the New for next weekend (Memorial Day).  When I booked a site, the weather looked great, but it has since taken a turn for the worse and is predicting T-storms both days.  Being that I'm coming from Chicago, that would really suck if we make the drive and don't end up climbing, so I'm considering other options, but the AAC campground has a rather stringent cancellation policy:

"Cancellation Policy
No cancellation charge and 100% of deposit refunded if notice is received more than 30 days in advance of arrival date. 50% of deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received between 7 and 30 days of arrival date. No deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received within 7 days of arrival date. Becoming a member after making your reservation will not result in refunds for the member vs non-member rates for nights already booked."

So according to that, I shouldn't be able to get a refund, which is rather shitty, considering how common it is for weather to take a turn like this.  Has anyone tried cancelling due to weather?  Any luck?

I don't quite understand the mindset to be upset with their cancellation policy. You reserved a spot that they held for you instead of allowing someone else to book. You want to cancel your reservation less than a week out and they should just eat the cost? They're running a business and in my opinion their policy seems more than fair.

I'm on the same page as the others in this thread, you should still go. Weather at the NRG is all over the place and you may miss out on rain or worst case scenario go to a sheltered crag and still get some good climbing in. Have fun!

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,361
Ted Pinson wrote:

Fair enough.  The chance is 30%, so I think we're going to risk it...fingers crossed!

Agree with above, 30% is nothing to be concerned about.  That can mean zero rain or a washout (I've seen both equally in 30% situations).  In the summer, when we have afternoon storms, they usually paint the weather map with 30% (isolated) chances.

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 25

Climb at Kaymoor, White Wall, parts of Summersville Lake -  NRG pretty much always requires a backup weather option and these crags are pretty well covered from rain. Biggest annoyance is having to hang out in drizzly SE spring days - not ideal

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 60

Gonna echo the posts that are telling you to JUST GO!  Very worst-case scenario, you'll STILL be out of Chicago and in one of the most beautiful natural settings in the East.  You can also mountain bike and raft in the rain.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply