Frankenstein Crampons - step in to hybrid

Original Post
Alex Long · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I have a pair of step in grivel g14's. I'm planning a general mountaineering trip, no climbing involved and I was going to take 3 season boots. I was thinking of buying front crampomatic parts to grivel's air tech and putting them on the back pieces of my grivel g14 step ins, effectively making them into newmatic crampons. What do y'all think of this? Is it possible? Stupid? Genius? 

I think it would work and save me the cash I would have to shell out for all new crampons. 

Thanks!

Kevin Mcbride · · Nelson · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 155

Seems sketch...

Also vertical front points cant climb snow for shit. Just buy some mountaineering crampons, save yourself the frustration.

Petsfed · · Laramie, WY · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 875

I retrod my G14s with these, there's no reason why you couldn't get a strap heel and go full strap-on. Its not permanent. It is true though that the G14s suck for that application, and I actually ended up putting the newmatic adapter on my Petzl Vasaks (with lever-lock bails, talk about frankenstein!).

Just to be clear, when you say "step-in" you mean both heel and toe bails are made of metal and fit into welts on boots, right? Or as grivel calls it "cramp-o-matic".

Edit to clarify in what sense the otherwise-awesome g14s suck.

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I use essentially the same thing.

Swap out G14 and G12 fronts depending on conditions. My 14s have a bail and my 12s have a strap. It works.

Alex Long · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Yes, just to clarify when I say step in I meant toe and heel bail on my g14s and hybrid strap on the toe that I'm trying to install on them. 

T.farrell, that helps a lot! 

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

You can buy strap toes bails to replace the full step in toe bails from both Grivel and Petzl.  I've used the Petzl toes and really like them.  I have a pair of the new Sarkens and have tried them as both full step ins and as half step ins on Nepals in glacier ice (playing in the serac on the Coleman glacier) and actually prefer the half step in configuration for a secure fit.  I still prefer full step ins for ski mountaineering for the faster transitions.

And yes, horizontal toe points or hooded toe points are better for frozen snow that isn't really ice.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply