Moon board hold placement

Original Post
jonathan.lipkin · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 70

I'm going to modify my home wall to be a pseudo-moon board, so I can use the problems that people have posted on moonboard.com. I don't want to spend the money to get the school holds and would like to use the holds I already have, and try to match the placements of the school holds as best I can. I've seen some photos of the board, but they are pretty low-res. Does anyone know if there is a specific guide to hold placement? Or better photos of the holds?

Emmerson · · Portland OR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Thanks, Emmerson. Don't know why I didn't see that.

Gavin Boyles · · Montpelier, VT · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0
jonathan.lipkin wrote:

Thanks, Emmerson. Don't know why I didn't see that.

I think it's still going to be really hard to figure out what the holds are actually like, without finding an actual Moon Board to look at. For example, K14 and B12 are both shallow but positive pockets. No way to know that from the pic. Lots of the other holds are hard to tell just by looking at a flat pic, too. 

Gavin Boyles wrote:

I think it's still going to be really hard to figure out what the holds are actually like, without finding an actual Moon Board to look at. For example, K14 and B12 are both shallow but positive pockets. No way to know that from the pic. Lots of the other holds are hard to tell just by looking at a flat pic, too. 

Yeah, that's really what I was after. There are photos online of the fully set up moonboard, but they are not high resolution enough to get any useful info. 

In the end, I think my ceiling is too low (94") to have a setup that would be useful with the routes that are set on the site. I have a 45 wall now, and will play around with it a bit and see if I can remove a row or two from the moonboard setup so that I'm close

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply