Partners sought in Fraser/Winter Park, mid-June->End of-August.

Original Post
Eben Myrddin Muse · · Fraser, Colorado · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hi guys! I'm a Welsh-American who's landed a job in Fraser for the summer. Mainly a british trad climber but super keen for anything that involves rock and upward movement.. Got my own rack and plan on bringing over an 80m single or two 50m halves. Will also have 2 days off a week, and transport!

I'd also appreciate any advice on how to train/remain climbing fit while living in Fraser for 2 and a half months.. is there anything nearby?

Cheers guys.

Jason Actis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 15

There's a small wall at Grand Park rec center, and a quiet little sport crag right outside of town (high clearance vehicle recommended) for when you don't want to make a trip to the many alpine trad, sport and bouldering areas within a 1-3 hour drive. 

Cool! I'm aware of the wall at the rec centre, but wasn't sure if it was a worthwhile way to spend $5 (it's in the lobby, isn't it?). The sport crag looks really nice! Are there many climbers in Fraser, do you know? I can't wait to get over there and get involved!

Jason Actis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 15

I haven't climbed on the wall, so I can't say much other than that there are enough holds for a few rainy training days, and the rest of the facility is quite nice. Earth Treks in Golden (where I live) might be the closest large gym. I visit family in winter park frequently, but I've only visited the crag once, and it had about 40 bolted routes with zero people. I don't think there is much of a climbing community, but you'll have no trouble finding partners as you drive closer to Golden. Otherwise, there's plenty of bouldering potential if you're into that sort of thing.

Cheers, that's super helpful! I'd be down the crag most evenings after work if I could find people to come and belay me/climb! I'm into bouldering but it seems that bringing one over is much more trouble than it's worth. Might look for a used one and then sell it off on in September.

Chris Michalowski · · Granby, CO · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 65

I live in Granby.  My number is 970 376-2974.   There's not a lot of rock in this area so most everything is a day trip.  The local crag above Tabernash is dry now. RMNP is pretty close once trail ridge road opens.  Let me know if you want to get out 

Cool cool! I'm getting in on the 13th in the evening, then I'll be around till the end of August! Glad to hear about the crag above Tabernash! I'll be in touch :) There's nowhere to train in the immediate area in the evenings aside from the rec, is there? I'm keen!

Chris Michalowski · · Granby, CO · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 65

There's the Fraser rec wall, a wall at the YMCA which is more for beginners.  I've got a wall at my house you can session on.  Be in touch.

Brilliant! :) 

I'm raiding the club gear store today.. What do you think it would be more useful to bring with me? Two 50m half ropes, or a lightweight 80m single? Anything else you'd recommend? Thinking of making a September trip west to Yosemite at the end of the summer as well!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply