Colorado 2017 snow climbing

Original Post
Peter Blank · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined May 2008 · Points: 160

Anyone been fooling around in the mountains?  Curious if high elevation couloirs have begun to come into condition or if it's still avalanche prone waist deep slogging.

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 305

For climbs in the Front Range such as in RMNP and Indian Peaks, I'd think another week or two at least in order for the 3-4 feet they've received over the last 48 hours to settle and go isothermic. For climbs in the Elks, San Juans and Sange de Cristos, you're probably pretty close to being good to go if nightly temps continue to stay close to or above freezing.      

Peter Blank · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined May 2008 · Points: 160

Thank's Andy.  They really got that much snow up there?  Crazy!  I kinda figured it was a bit early yet.

crackatoa Spiesbach · · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 70
Peter Blank wrote:

Thank's Andy.  They really got that much snow up there?  Crazy!  I kinda figured it was a bit early yet.

RMNP had to close all of the roads on the east side of the park due to being unable to clear the snow... look at ther F book page it's crazy deep.. In boulder we got snow for lik 30 hours non stop  and RMNP got it much worse than us.. 

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 585

Bear Lake got 29 inches of snow and it is still coming down.  The roads are starting to reopen and the road to Bear Lake is expected to reopen sometime Saturday.  

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

I am living in mountain. I am constantly "fooling around"

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply