Sandiego to Joshua tree 5/25-5/31

Original Post
Tania Rita · · West Bloomfield, MI · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Will be visiting family in SD next Thursday 5/25 to Wednesday and was hoping to make a day or 2 day trip to Joshua tree or somewhere else to climb or hike. Originally from MI but will likely have a car while I'm there. Message me if interested or for any thoughts!

mat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 5

Hi Tania,

You might also try posting this on the Southern California forums.  I believe this website considers both San Diego and Joshua Tree part of Southern California.

Happy climbing.

Hmm interesting thanks for the tip!

JWong Wong · · Los Angeles, California · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 0

Plan around the sun and it being hot. You'll want to try and climb either as early as possible or late in the day for cooler temps or chase shade midday.

Try and come up in the afternoon, climb until evening stay overnight and climb first thing in the morning and head out. 

Thanks! Are there any other climbing areas near SD that you would suggest that are cooler. Joshua tree has always been on my list but not sure if it would be worth while if the temps are as high as the forecast suggests

JWong Wong · · Los Angeles, California · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 0

You can make Jtree work in the summer if you really want to climb there. Search the forum for threads about chasing shade in JTree and you should find lots of suggestions. Nice thing is it's at least a dry heat...

Mission Gorge is in San Diego near La Mesa. I've never climbed there though, so thats all I can offer. 

Up near Joshua Tree there is Tahquitz and Suicide in Idyllwyld. Mostly multi-pitch climbing there, but much higher up and cooler. There is also Black Mountain and Tramway in the mountains above Palm Springs. 

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 76

I've run into this group at the crag: https://www.meetup.com/Rock-Climbers-Of-San-Diego/

Big group, and very active.  They have a couple of events during the time you're in town.

Thanks George! Looks like the events are mostly indoors and I'm looking to get outdoors.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply