Mountain Project Logo

Visiting Denver Next Week - few Qs

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Blakevan wrote:

Can you provide more details?  We climbed there in March and while not great for CO it was decent for a dude from Texas.  :)  Never mind I see the OP is from the Gunks and that explains it.

Yeah. I mean If it was all we had then sure I would climb there. To me it is just short and not great rock. I mean CCC and BC and etc, etc, etc are right near by. When I lived in Michigan and climbed at Grand Ledge I would have thought North Table was sweet. But if you come from climbing big stuff or good rock I just can't recommend is. I am not saying don't go there, just that you will not find me there and it is reallllllllllllllly far down on my list of climbing places. 

gabe.fs · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20
Jon Frisby wrote:

Fellow Gunky - you will really enjoy a day in Eldo. With a brand new climber, assuming she knows how to clean gear, doing some easy classics there is a pretty fun day

Good looks! Do you have a good sense of how the climbing compares, grade-wise? Like if we were to take High E as the standard for '5.6' -- easier or harder? Trying to plan around my gf who is decent in the gym but has limited outdoor experience. Want to make sure she has a good time. Cheers!

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

For the same grade, moves seemed a touch easier but a little more sustained and slippery than at the Gunks. High E is comparable to 5.7-8 routes IMO

Cortney L · · Englehood, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 42
gabe.fs wrote:

Good looks! Do you have a good sense of how the climbing compares, grade-wise? Like if we were to take High E as the standard for '5.6' -- easier or harder? Trying to plan around my gf who is decent in the gym but has limited outdoor experience. Want to make sure she has a good time. Cheers!

Fellow Gunks climber here, I would say if you're taking High-E as your gold standard 5.6, it will feel a bit easier in eldo. If you have never crack climbed before, a boulder canyon 5.6 will probably feel kinda hard. But IMHO you'll have more fun in Eldo...its a more comparable experience to the gunks and has better routes than most nearby areas. 

also, you should stop at the shell gas station on your way into eldo and get a breakfast burrito. they're damn good. 

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Cortney LeNeave wrote:

Fellow Gunks climber here, I would say if you're taking High-E as your gold standard 5.6, it will feel a bit easier in eldo. If you have never crack climbed before, a boulder canyon 5.6 will probably feel kinda hard. But IMHO you'll have more fun in Eldo...its a more comparable experience to the gunks and has better routes than most nearby areas. 

also, you should stop at the shell gas station on your way into eldo and get a breakfast burrito. they're damn good. 

Worth noting that Eldo cracks are far friendlier to Northeasterners than most others. Creek splitters these are not

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Visiting Denver Next Week - few Qs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started