Mountain Project Logo

Tenayas, how much do they stretch?

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

just got a pair of Tatankas. They feel like they are the right size out of the box, not like I'll have to break them in for more than a pitch or two. If they ease in flex a tiny bit, that's fine. But if they stretch out they will be swimming.

Wondering if I should size down 1/2 size from here?

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Have a pair of Ra's that felt just the right amount of discomfort to stretch perfectly when first bought. They didn't stretch and I don't wear them now(size 10 $50 shipped) Have no experience with the tatanka's.

AJ Leiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 15

I haven't owned Tantankas, but I've owned two other Tenaya models and neither stretched much. Maybe a little, but in my experience if they feel the right size out of the box that won't change.

Micah Klesick · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3,964

They don't really stretch at all. Best out of the box fit I've experienced. Love them

Mike Collins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 35

they def don't stretch much. I have had two pairs now and going to buy a third. they are awesome 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,465

I'm on my 6th or 7th pair of Tenayas.  I've owned the Ra, the Inti, and the Masai.  They will conform to your foot laterally, but there is very little if any stretch.  Completely agree with the out of the box fit.  I've tried Evolv, Scarpa and LS. Tenayas fit my shallow heel, narrow and low volume foot like no other shoe.  They perform beautifully and are durable.  Can't say enough good things about these shoes.

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

My Tatankas didn't stretch at all. And this direct from Trango (Tenaya)

Keep in mind that Tenayas will barely stretch at all, which makes sizing more predictable and consistent. 

Thanks guys!

Oh crap, tried on both and bouldered on my wall. the tips of the toes of the shoes stick sideways medially towards the inside from my big toes, the sole is not at all actually under my toes. Very weird. The assym does not work. These are going back.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply