Petzl GriGri+ Review

Original Post
Northeast Alpine Start · · Conway, New Hampshire · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 126

Is it worth all the hype? I think so! Almost 1000 words and video showing you how this one sets itself apart from the GriGri's we already know and love! 

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/05/18/gear-review-petzl-grigri/

Bob Dobalina · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 140

The big question for me is... 

... Is it a better tool for solo aid?

Northeast Alpine Start · · Conway, New Hampshire · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 126
Bob Dobalina wrote:

The big question for me is... 

... Is it a better tool for solo aid?

Fair question! I'll admit I have barely any experience with solo aid and slightly more experience with normal aid climbing... The added durability seems to be a bonus no matter what climbing discipline you are pursuing and I'd wager the lead belay mode which stiffens the camming operation and makes paying out slack easier would be a boon for such a use, but likely falls outside Petzl's recommendations.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 290

Nice review, but I do have one objection: even though this is a product review, but since you're "an aspirant Rock Guide through the AMGA" according to your bio, I think you should show the proper way of using a belay device. The video you posted (1m21s) did not demonstrate the proper way to feed slack with any version of the Grigri.

aikibujin wrote:

Nice review, but I do have one objection: even though this is a product review, but since you're "an aspirant Rock Guide through the AMGA" according to your bio, I think you should show the proper way of using a belay device. The video you posted (1m21s) did not demonstrate the proper way to feed slack with any version of the Grigri.

Thanks for the feedback! I like your other thread I just saw discussing some of the finer points with GriGri belaying. You're correct, my index finger was in the wrong place. Petzl does a good job of showing the proper placement of the index finger at the below link. Regrettably the point I really wanted to get across is this will become even less of an issue with the lead belay mode. Once you get the feel for it you can feed slack quite quickly without having to touch the device, which is obviously the best outcome. I get the feel for it right around 1:29 in the video.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Belaying-with-the-GRIGRI?ProductName=GRIGRI-2#.WSR5GWjyuUk

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 290
NEAlpineStart Lottmann wrote: Once you get the feel for it you can feed slack quite quickly without having to touch the device, which is obviously the best outcome. I get the feel for it right around 1:29 in the video.

Thanks for the review. That's good information to know for when I need to replace my current Grigri.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply