Mountain Project Logo

Shoulder labral tear

Bruce Morris · · Soulsbyville, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 3,794

Having trouble doing overhead reachy moves is a very good indicator of a shoulder labral tear. Funny, how many docs send you off to get an MRI before they even give you a full range of motion studies. That's a good way of finding out what's actually wrong. MRI = Day Dreaming.  Pseudo-science. Black Art.

theradone c · · Nashville, TN · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

This is a late reply. But I am an Class V Whitewater kayaker and I tore my labrum the same. I had the option of surgery or not. I underwent surgery and its the best thing I ever did. It hurt like hell and took like 8-9 months to heal, and I went crazy wanting to get back to paddling but it was well worth it. I now climb with no pain or issues and it feels stronger than my other one. My injury was enough to where sleeping at night and putting on coats etc hurt, so I justified it. I highly recommend it if it causes you problems in the future. Do NOT go to a shitty doctor though. Cheers. 

Silvester Sanches · · São Paulo · Joined May 2021 · Points: 0

I looked for 03 orthopedists specialized in shoulder in Brazil.

I was diagnosticated  with a type 1 slap lesion, there was no detachment of the humerus, only a slight tear.  I'm leaving for conservative treatment, it will be 03 months without climbing, doing physiotherapy and strengthening.

I currently experience minor pains at night and in some specific movements.  I will soon return on the result of my treatment.  before the injury I was climbing via 7b / 7b + fr and I worry about going back to the same level

Mike K · · Las Vegas NV · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
Silvester Sanches wrote:

I looked for 03 orthopedists specialized in shoulder in Brazil.

I was diagnosticated  with a type 1 slap lesion, there was no detachment of the humerus, only a slight tear.  I'm leaving for conservative treatment, it will be 03 months without climbing, doing physiotherapy and strengthening.

I currently experience minor pains at night and in some specific movements.  I will soon return on the result of my treatment.  before the injury I was climbing via 7b / 7b + fr and I worry about going back to the same level

I also had a slap tear and PT encouraged me to keep climbing as long as I didn't exceed pain level of 3/10 while on the wall and as long as my shoulder wasn't significantly worse the following day.  So I managed easy to moderate climbing throughout my PT.  

Rob D · · Queens, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30

just more anecdotal added to a 4 year old thread, I had a tear as well and never had surgery/prp.  For me, the most beneficial part of PT was learning how to use my shoulder muscles more efficiently and build up the muscles to support the area.  I still am doing PT exercises years on, but as long as I stay in climbing-shape my shoulder tends to be okay.  The reality is, I pull much different now and am much much more aware of how I use my shoulders, especially on dynamic movements.  It's not just about getting a shot, getting surgery, getting an expensive treatment, or even just getting PT.  It's about learning how to use your body in a way that won't continue to irritate or compound the injury.  

I still occasionally have trouble sleeping on my left side and have had some shoulder stability issues, but those were there before so again it's more about getting everything strong enough to stay in place. 

Eric Marx · · LI, NY · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 57

I will say, I tore my left labrum about 10 years ago, I essentially completely ignored it and it did heal to full strength and no pain, but it took about 6 years. There were ups and downs in that period, but it’s been about 5ish years now with no issues at all. Not sure what compensation my body did to take care of it, but I’m 29 and I boulder v10 fairly consistently and climb hard 12 trad.

I’m not recommending that as a course of action, but the body does heal. I’m skeptical of surgeries for labral tears because unless your tear is so bad you have to have the labrum anchored to your bone, basically the surgeon just cuts away some tissue and charges your insurance. It’s like manufactured job security, so to speak. I have some issues with my other shoulder now for about a year and it feels much more easily managed with PT.

Edit:didn’t realize this was a zombie thread

Kiara Edsworld · · Toronto · Joined Nov 2022 · Points: 0

Shoulder pain can become more severe even if it's mild today. Sometimes we might just feel comfortable with the pain but the reality might cause something unrecoverable. I always sleep with my leftside and the area around my left shoulder remains really stiff till now. Yes, pain is torturous to some day and now am getting treatment from a professional Physiotherapy expert near you. 

Arjun Dongre · · Newton, NC · Joined May 2008 · Points: 0

Pulled something in my shoulder in college, continued to "snap" weirdly when I rotated my arm for the next decade. Then after climbing one day started having severe burning in my shoulder and couldn't raise my arm. Laid off for a few months, pt didn't help. Exploratory surgery revealed a labral tear. Doc screwed it back in place, good as new.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Shoulder labral tear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started