Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Guide to the Organ Mountains

Original Post
Lee Davis · · Belen, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 350

I

I managed to locate my copy of the Climbing Guide, and thought this would be interesting to those familiar with the Organs. My guide is  the "Copy #2" that Dick Ingraham gave me before the guide was published... an old, unbound mimeographed copy. This picture of Sugarloaf that Dick later used to plot the routes is one I actually took myself and gave to him. I managed to get the shot while flying in a Piper Cherokee with my Father, when he had come down to Las Cruces and took me for a flight over the Organs. I asked him to fly out over Sugarloaf, and that it is in restricted White Sands airspace actually got him fired up to do it.  

In with my copy of the guide is also a write-up of the firsts that I did in the Organs and had passed on to Dick, but were never published (the routes on the Tooth, Great East Slabs, Psycho, etc). After all these years, no great loss, I suspect. But, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to make copies of the write-ups on new routes I did.   Lee Davis     radarcarve.net

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

I personally would love a copy of such a guide, even if it will be a while before I get to climb there.

Karl R. Kiser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 9,557

Lee, update Mountain Project posts or e-mail me and I will update the relevant portions.  It is good news that you found these resources.

Karl... email me with your address and I shall send you copies. I am copy@radarcarve.com      Lee Davis

Here is the link to the Guide for those who are unfamiliar with it: http://web.nmsu.edu/~amato/ingrahamguide/frontpage.html

Mike Hoskins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2021 · Points: 333

Hi Lee,

I'd love to connect with you regarding a project that I'm working on regarding preservation of the local climbing history in the Organ Mountains. Would you be willing to exchange a few emails with me mdhoskins@gmail.com ?  I'm excited to share what I'm working on and see if you'd be interested in contributing. Please send me a quick email and I'll fill you in on the details.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Climbing Guide to the Organ Mountains"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started