Mountain Project Logo

Casaval Ridge Question

Original Post
Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 65

Hey, think of heading up there soon with a friend who is less experienced with alpine climbing, but it seems a mellow enough objective. I will want to belay the catwalk for him, but I'm not sure how long that pitch is. I have a skinny 40m that I'd prefer to bring if that will cover the distance. Also, any utility in a couple cams for anchor building, or is it snow anchors only? Rock doesn't look great in pictures. 

Oh, and one trip report mentioned two tools, but I can't see any pictures or descriptions of terrain that would justify this. 

Caleb23Burns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 50

Just an FYI the catwalk was damaged this year. I haven't spoken to anyone who's gone through it yet. Everyone I've spoken to has backed out when they get to the damaged area. It might be best to traverse the west face and bypass the catwalk until there is more beta on it

FoamFinger _______ · · Rad Town, Not set (USA) · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 250

The "Rock" on Shasta is all Conglomerate, as in you brush it with your hand and it falls off.  If you do get a chance to do the route and Ice screw or two and/or a picket is all you'll need.  Probably just boot-axe belaying is enough.

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

I climbed it yesterday, you do not need 2 tools, or pro of any kind. As mentioned the catwalk was sketchy due to rockfall and rime ice threatening to fall from above. We traversed to the west face to avoid it. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply