Float the Owyhee (southern Idaho/Oregon)

Original Post
Maurice Chaunders · · boise, id · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

We are leaving from Boise on Friday and had a seat open up. I've got enough gear to keep your clothes dry, and your body dry if you are close to my size  - 5'11" 175 and my wife has gear a bit smaller if you are, too. We have enough camping gear to spare, if needed. The river is gorgeous and not too crazy. We are both guides on the trip and as long as you can climb out doors, you can likely hack it. PM if interested

abe r · · Boise, ID · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 5

wow, very neat!  Can't make this, but when ya get back lets climb and you can tell me about it :)

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Wow! That's gonna be one honkin wild ride this year! It's not for me, but I forwarded this to someone a lot braver.

My son checked out local dams and reservoirs yesterday. Everything is at historical levels, close, or already past records.

The "glory hole" at Owyhee dam is going now, as are all the outlets at everything, including the Arrowrock spillway. Worth a drive to go see.

Maurice, enjoy. It should be a great whitewater season for you and your clients!

Best, Helen

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

The person I forwarded to can't go.

Great opportunity for someone, though!

OLH

Maurice Chaunders · · boise, id · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

water wasn't as big as the snowpack and reservoirs might have indicated, so it was a reasonable level. And no clients, Lady H, just 2 (former) guides and a buddy. 3 people, one boat and a great trip. I post about river trips from time to time, so when you are taking a weekend off or the weather is not cooperating, the descents can rival ascents. next trip is south fork salmon - much gnarlier and will be dependent on snowmelt and the weather. Leaving on a thursday in mid july, back to boise on Sunday. Not for the faint of heart or inexperienced. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply