Mountain Project Logo

Linville Gorge Trip questions

Original Post
Derrick Keene · · Kentucky · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 95

I'm planning a trip to Linville Gorge to climb the Daddy for sure and then maybe some others if time permits. It will be a weekend trip to get some bigger multipitch experience. Was wandering if anyone had any suggestions on places to camp or sleep. I usually sleep in my jeep, but want to be close so I can get a nice early start. 

Thanks in advance!

Chris Massey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 5

Table Rock parking lot or the campsites just a couple hundred meters south of there. Will put you in a good spot for most of LG with the exception of Shortoff. It's where you would park for the Daddy anyway. 

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 110

There is plenty of camping at the Table Rock parking lot/picnic area, perfect for early start. 

Edit: Chris beat me to it, moments too late!

Derrick Keene · · Kentucky · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 95

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Jordan W · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I personally like camping at Chimney Gap if you're going to be staying for a few days. It will put you pretty much directly between the Ampitheater and Shortoff Mtn, you can kind of run back and forth between the two and there's water along the way to Shortoff. If you're just going to be climbing in the Amp though, its probably better to stay by Table Rock though.... I like to spend as much time as possible in the Gorge, it's my favorite place in the state, whether climbing or just hiking and camping. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply