Mountain Project Logo

Chalk at Garden of the Gods


Original Post
Nick Thomas · · Fargo, ND · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30

Does the no-white-chalk rule at Garden of the Gods apply only to roped climbing or to bouldering also?  I would assume it applies to everything but ethics can be weird so I guess I might as well ask.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 871

From the GOTG's regulation page:

  1. The use of chalk (calcium carbonate) in conjunction with technical climbing and bouldering is prohibited.  A chalk substitute that does not discolor the rock may be used.

https://parks.coloradosprings.gov/parks-recreation-and-cultural-services/webform/rock-climbing-permit

Nick Thomas · · Fargo, ND · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30
Greg D wrote:

From the GOTG's regulation page:

  1. The use of chalk (calcium carbonate) in conjunction with technical climbing and bouldering is prohibited.  A chalk substitute that does not discolor the rock may be used.

https://parks.coloradosprings.gov/parks-recreation-and-cultural-services/webform/rock-climbing-permit

Thanks!

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 871

Unfortunately, too many climbers ignore this rule.  There is chalk all over the garden.  This doesn't make climbers look good as a user group.  Thanks for caring.

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Greg D wrote:

Unfortunately, too many climbers ignore this rule.  There is chalk all over the garden.  This doesn't make climbers look good as a user group.  Thanks for caring.

Which I don't get because you don't really even need chalk on the sandstone there.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
physnchips wrote:

Which I don't get because you don't really even need chalk on the Choss there.

Fixed.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
Tylerpratt wrote:

Fixed.

Potato, po-tah-to. Just as long as people don't use chalk and get the place closed to climbing.

Nick Thomas · · Fargo, ND · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30
Tradgic Yogurt wrote:

Potato, po-tah-to. Just as long as people don't use chalk and get the place closed to climbing.

Unfortunately I saw a looot of chalked up holds there.  Didn't use any myself.  Too bad others don't keep to the rules.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply