Mountain Project Logo

Please clean up your tick marks

Original Post
T G · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

At the risk of coming off like a self-righteous jerk for bringing this up, it would be awesome if folks could think of others who might climb a route after them and clean up their tick marks. It might even be good karma if you see any tick marks left by someone else to just wet them down and clean them up, too.

Too often recently we've come across routes in Boulder Canyon and Eldo wherein the climb was somewhat ruined by excessive ticking. I'll go to the gym if I want to know exactly where to put my hands and feet, thanks.

Eric Carlos · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40
Silverplume wrote:

At the risk of coming off like a self-righteous jerk for bringing this up, it would be awesome if folks could think of others who might climb a route after them and clean up their tick marks. It might even be good karma if you see any tick marks left by someone else to just wet them down and clean them up, too.

Too often recently we've come across routes in Boulder Canyon and Eldo wherein the climb was somewhat ruined by excessive ticking. I'll go to the gym if I want to know exactly where to put my hands and feet, thanks.

I prefer to just tick a weird incorrect sequence to mess up people depending too heavily on tick marks. 

Chris treggE · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,290

And the sign says "beanie-wearing pad people, not welcome here"
So I tucked my weed up into my chalk and I went to ask the beta for gear -
He says "you look like a fine trad climber, why don't you stay?"
So I show him my pad and say "Imagine Dad! Me, giving you a belay?"

Ticks, ticks, everywhere are ticks
Fuckin up my onsight, left by those dicks
Do this, don't do that, now scrub off your ticks!

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

If your so desperate to do a climb that you have to tick it up maybe you should evaluate your process.

The pros do it a lot but they are pushing the sport. Chances are you will be a better climber if you commit to knowing every move without the marks. 

Step up to a higher standard. At the very least clean up your mess.

s.price wrote:

If your so desperate to do a climb that you have to tick it up maybe you should evaluate your process.

The pros do it a lot but they are pushing the sport. Chances are you will be a better climber if you commit to knowing every move without the marks. 

Step up to a higher standard. At the very least clean up your mess.

I am going to disagree about something being OK for pros because "they are pushing the sport", but not for normal folk.  It doesn't work that way, either it is ok or it isn't.  I would say it probably isn't but most aren't going to go back and brush off the tick after a send.  

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 170
Eric Carlos wrote:

I prefer to just tick a weird incorrect sequence to mess up people depending too heavily on tick marks. 

LOL!

CCas · · Chicago, IL · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 115
Eric Carlos wrote:

+1

Neil and Cassidy · · Casper, wy · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
Chris treggE wrote:

And the sign says "beanie-wearing pad people, not welcome here"
So I tucked my weed up into my chalk and I went to ask the beta for gear -
He says "you look like a fine trad climber, why don't you stay?"
So I show him my pad and say "Imagine Dad! Me, giving you a belay?"

Ticks, ticks, everywhere are ticks
Fuckin up my onsight, left by those dicks
Do this, don't do that, now scrub off your ticks!

This is one of the best posts I have seen on MP.

evan h · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 310

Tick marks are perfectly acceptable. If they're not, then neither is rehearsing moves -- both are redpoint tactics employed by folks at all levels.

That being said, they should be erased when you're done. I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes space on this when lowered from a route, just like a sometimes forget to bring a bag when walking my dog. I mean well, but it doesn't always pan out. I'm sure this same phenomenon happens with tick marks. 

Nick Hitchcock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35
Eric Carlos wrote:

or bad holds.....especially on moderates. 

evan h wrote:

Tick marks are perfectly acceptable. If they're not, then neither is rehearsing moves -- both are redpoint tactics employed by folks at all levels.

That being said, they should be erased when you're done. I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes space on this when lowered from a route, just like a sometimes forget to bring a bag when walking my dog. I mean well, but it doesn't always pan out. I'm sure this same phenomenon happens with tick marks. 

Don't get me started about people that don't clean up their dog poop....

Thread derail in 3, 2, 1......

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Eric Carlos wrote:

I remember a blind throw around a lip that someone ticked in the gym. I re-angled the tick slightly and watched people miss the hold all night. It's the little things in life.

jmmlol wrote:

I remember a blind throw around a lip that someone ticked in the gym. I re-angled the tick slightly and watched people miss the hold all night. It's the little things in life.

Elenor 11d at Easter Rock always has this tick on the terrible sloper by the anchor, that fools many on sight tries.  

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 834

Last year I was at Smith and found a few routes where someone had ticked holds with blue sidewalk chalk. 

evan h · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 310
Eric Carlos wrote:

Don't get me started about people that don't clean up their dog poop....

Thread derail in 3, 2, 1......

I know! I'm a bad person, some days.

Trevor. wrote:

Last year I was at Smith and found a few routes where someone had ticked holds with blue sidewalk chalk. 

Someone did that about 5 yrs ago at the Red, and then this spring, I was at Maple, and on Angry Birds (not 12b) at Early Bird Crag someone had done the same thing.  

BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 245
Silverplume wrote:

I'll go to the gym if I want to know exactly where to put my hands and feet, thanks.

I guess this may not always be true I am not joking when I say I was at the gym this past Saturday and someone put tick marks in the gym on a color coded 5.10- route.  (I did try to give the benefit of the doubt that the person may have been color blind) but still they didn't even clean them off!!!  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply