Mountain Project Logo

Slick Rock Dome - Road Conditions?

Original Post
BruceB · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 90

Has anyone been out to Slick Rock Dome this year?, I was wondering if the road is passable? Thanks.

Ney Grant · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,010

No, the road in is still impassable with snow. Too bad because the dome as seen from a distance is snow free.   Not until June sometime...

BruceB · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 90

Thanks for the update Ney. I'm really looking forward to checking out this area, but I'll guess I'll have to wait.

A climber posted in the Slick Rock section that he went out over Memorial Day (2017) weekend it is still a 2 hr hike on a snow covered section of road.  Geeesh!  Sounded like a good time though as he did many of the classics (Ice House Roof, Crystal Chute and Crystal Crescent).

bob branscomb · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 815

Ney:  Kristi and I will probably be in Placerville in July...I'm unsure whether it's possible to rap down off the top with 2 60m ropes and still do some of the routes with 60m (?).

Looking forward to getting up there...haven't been there in decades, literally.  Maybe see you there...probably be in touch with Vard so he'll know.

thanksx..................bob branscomb

Hi Bob,

It would be fun for Betsy and I to head out there with you.  Do you know when in July yet?  

You can rap in three going sideways a little (down Friction Affliction) instead of rapping in two raps (with 70M) straight down the dome.  

Crystal Chute (aka Poop Chute) is best with a 70 since the first belay bolts are 70M.  But you can also belay lower in the crack and then up higher at a small roof to make it three pitches.

Ron and I put a belay station on one of his (your) old climbs that he calls Crystal Blue Persuasion and it turns out we put it 70M from the ground.  We really didn't intend to, but that climb requires a 70M.  

You'll just have to have us along...

But of course there are plenty of other climbs that don't require 70M.

Ney

bob branscomb · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 815

I think the second week to the end of July probably...that would be fun.  

Danny Herrera · · San Bruno, California · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 280

This place looks so rad!

As of June 5th, 2017 the road into Slick Rock Dome is open. Well, open enough. The last 1/4 mile is patches of snow so there is a little longer hike. 

The road is rutted from the heavy winter but I made it in a Subaru Outback.  A low clearance car may have a tough time. You can't drive to or across the creek and it is currently an icy knee-high crossing.  But there is a log bridge downstream.  When walking down the road toward the creek, look for rock cairns on the left (not fire pit rocks).  At the cairns, go straight down to the creek and there is a large fallen log that you can walk across.  Walk across the log bridge and then go up hill and to the right and you'll hit the road (very rough road) on the other side of the creek.

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 105

Was just there yesterday. None of that sounds familiar. Haha. 

Also. The cairns at the end of the trail are great. May I suggest cairns the entire way. Because man I did some bushwhacking. 

I was there again today.  Many of the cairns fell off over the winter, and I think a few snow patches at the start may have made it confusing.  I restacked cairns, built some new ones, put up a few pieces of flagging and cut some small trees out of the trail (and with a chainsaw out of the main road).

I also put up three new sport climbs on Slick Rock Slab as the trail first touches the rock.  Super fun, easy sport climbs. Someone (Niko) a few weeks ago had mistaken two old loose bolts high on the wall as a rebolted climb, and he ended up with a scary 5.7 downclimb.  So I put some sport anchors above those bolts, tightened them up, added some more and made a climb out it.  These are the climbs the furthest right (so far) on the dome.  The one of the left ("No No Niko") is 5.7.  The two on the right are 5.6.  Each has 5 bolts and are about 65 feet.

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 105

You sir are a hero. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply