Rain in the south : (

Original Post
NOLAclimber76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

We have a group of climbers in New Orleans and we usually hit Horseshoe Canyon, Sandrock, or Foster Falls. But rain is a comming in all three this weekend. I know FF has the overhang area between Access 1 and 2. Any other wet weather recommendations within 9 hours of NOLA?

Beth Santoro · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 60

Little River Canyon has a lot of overhanging routes but it's mostly 5.11-5.13.

Tierranny Wall at Obed is overhanging (also the bunker at South Clear) but that may be farther than you want to drive.

Castle Rock (near foster falls) gets wet in the rain but due to south facing walls it dries quickly, however you'd be climbing in the sun. Sandrock also dries quickly.

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 210

Rock Town? I've climbed there a day after rain. You have to pick your routes, but there's a ton to choose from.

NOLAclimber76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

Hitting Rock town Memorial day weekend to teach a BSA climbing and ropes course instructor training (caving and natural anchor building). Hoping to diversify. How is the sport climbing there? Thought only short TR and bouldering

Jason Eberhard · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 48

The Sun Wall at Sandrock can stay dry if its not windy when it rains.  Even if it does get wet it dries quick.

csproul · · Davis, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

Obed has some steep stuff that stays dry.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Rocktown is only bouldering and some short toproping (gear/ natural anchors).  I don't know that there are any established routes for roped climbing, but occasionally you will see someone with a rope on one of the taller formations.  Lost wall is right down the road and trad/ top roping.  No sport climbing at either place.

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 210

Sorry, Lost Wall was what I was referring to. I thought the gear routes there were incredible and very underrated. Good climbing in the 5.8-5.10 range.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply