Rumbling bald after memorial day???

Original Post
Brad Christie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 10

Hi all,  

I'll be driving through north Carolina after memorial day and hoping to get a few days of bouldering in.  Will be going right through asheville but am willing to drive a couple hours out of the way.  Rumbling bald looks great, but I see in the forums alot about heat and poison ivy.  Is it too late in the season to be enjoyable?  Is linville a good alternative?  Any other recommendations?  

I have been reading the forums and googling, I'm not just lazy here.  I just don't know the area at all so it's all foreign to me.  

Thanks!

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

Definitely too hot for the bald this time of year. Head up to Boone for higher elevation and better temps. Linville Gorge is great too.

Thanks that's what I figured.  I see grandmother mountain on Google but not on mp?  Which areas around boone?

And I will buy a guidebook I always do, just trying to narrow down where to go.  

AField · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

Outside of the Bald, there is no guidebook for NC bouldering. PM me when you roll through, I can show you around if you want. 

TomCaldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 2,563

The boulders below the Dump are a good little cluster. Otherwise, go to Grandmother or Blowing Rock boulders.

Rick Carpenter · · Kenai, AK · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,015

Boone is the premo spot for hot weather bouldering, but looking glass and the big ivy aren't bad either if your in the Asheville area.

Thanks all,

I am looking at grandmother and blowing rock.  Is grandmother not on mp?  Understood if so.  Blowing rock looks pretty simple for first time visiting. 

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335
bchristie wrote:

Thanks all,

I am looking at grandmother and blowing rock.  Is grandmother not on mp?  Understood if so.  Blowing rock looks pretty simple for first time visiting. 

No guide or much info online for either spot but both are excellent quality with tons of established problems. If the weather is good there is sure to be some other people out that can show you around.

Rick Carpenter · · Kenai, AK · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,015
bchristie wrote:

Thanks all,

there is some info on rockclimbing.com but that is about it except for what you find on youtube or vimeo (which is a lot). There is a TON of rock though, so good choice. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply