One family day at Ten Sleep in June

Original Post
Michael Logan · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

I'm passing through Ten Sleep with my family in mid-June, and I'm looking for the best crag to visit for one day with my family.  The climbing is less important than the aesthetic value and the fun-factor for my wife and kids (10 and 11 years old).  What is the most visually stunning area with opportunities for my kids to explore and possibly a moderate (5.8ish) family route or two?  If there was a four star 5.11, nearby that would be an added bonus!

AlecZ · · Rapid City, SD · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I think Hound Dog wall would hit all your requirements and the sweeping view is worth the approach on its own.  The downside is you are quite exposed with very little shade.   The right side of Hound Dog does gets PM shade and there is a large block that offers all day shade/shelter but bring plenty of water.  The moderates in this area are ok, but the 5.10-5.12 on the right side will make you want another day.  You might also consider the Ice Box Area/Circus Wall if the temps that day make Hound Dog unbearable.  This area, like most of Ten Sleep is thin 5.9 and below, but I think you will find some fun for everyone.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Emerson Takahashi · · Casper, WY · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 1,671

Depending on how warm it is, Lake Point crags are a really good option. Approach is more or less a scenic 20 minutes hike starting from the Meadow Lark picnic area. And, it's at the very top of the canyon, so views from here are spectacular(plus you get cell service).

Tilt-A-Wall has a handful of routes below 5.9 and easier. TONS of fun 10's, and lots of uber-classic harder routes too: Full Charge(11d), Burl Ives is Dead(12a), Bonnie and Clyde(12c), Dawn Patrol(12d) to name a few. Definitely a worthwhile trek for both you and the kiddos.

Thanks Alec and Emerson.  I had my eye on Hound Dog, and I had never heard of Lake Point, which looks like a great option as well.  

AlecZ · · Rapid City, SD · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

So where did you end up going?

We climbed at Lake Point. My wife climbed a pitch at Tilt-a-wall, then I climbed Oftedal serenade, which was really fun. My wife loved the wildflowers, and my kids liked the fort that they found at the crag.  It was perfect.  Thanks for the beta. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply