Mountain Project Logo

Bears Ears Public Comment Period

Original Post
Garrett Collier · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 25

This has been posted elsewhere on the site, but I figure the more eyes on it the better.  As I'm sure you all know, the National Monument status  of Bears Ears in Utah is under review.  Based on this review the current administration will determine whether to maintain or reduce it's status.  Access Fund has made it incredibly easy to submit a letter.  Take two minutes to send a letter, then two minutes to send the link to more people.  This small action may help save this incredible area from mining and development.  Climbing next to a strip mine sounds great and all, but I vote we keep it how it is.  The public comment period ends May 26th, so get to it.

Cheers,

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Was there mining and development before it received monument status?

Alec Orenstein · · Gallup, NM · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Thanks for posting this. I sent my letter.

Frank--Your question implies that the monument designation is unnecessary because there wasn't mining or drilling before. First, lots of land in the surrounding area has been developed for mineral extraction (see pump jacks near Moab).  But more importantly, there has been continued political pressure on the BLM to open the land that is now part of the monument to oil and gas. The only thing that prevented that was the decision of the Interior Secretary. In fact, the whole point of the "compromise" that certain Utah politicians (Chaffetz, etc) were pushing was to take large swaths of that land and open it up to drilling. (The federalism arguments are a total smoke screen--any land that would become state land would end up in the hands of drillers and developers.). Now that it's a monument, all that land is protected from development and drilling forever, no matter who is in the White House.

Also, climbers should be thinking about more than the Creek when we think about Bears Ears. The amount of ancestral Pueblo ruins in that area is astounding. They have been looted by the local (white) population for more than a century, and now they're finally protected. It's the CLASSIC example of what the antiquities act was passed for.

Scott M. McNamara · · Tucson, Arizona · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

The Access Fund has made writing very easy.  It has a canned letter.  You can add or subtract from it.

https://www.accessfund.org/take-action/campaigns/tell-secretary-zinke-not-to-rescind-or-reduce-bears-ears-national-monument

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 51

Done! Took less than a minute. Thanks to anyone who writes a letter and to the Access Fund.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Done, thanks for posting this.

beensandbagged · · R.I. · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

Sent mine. That was the best spent 5 minutes of my day, thanks for posting

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Alec Orenstein wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I sent my letter.

Frank--Your question implies that the monument designation is unnecessary because there wasn't mining or drilling before. First, lots of land in the surrounding area has been developed for mineral extraction (see pump jacks near Moab).  But more importantly, there has been continued political pressure on the BLM to open the land that is now part of the monument to oil and gas. The only thing that prevented that was the decision of the Interior Secretary. In fact, the whole point of the "compromise" that certain Utah politicians (Chaffetz, etc) were pushing was to take large swaths of that land and open it up to drilling. (The federalism arguments are a total smoke screen--any land that would become state land would end up in the hands of drillers and developers.). Now that it's a monument, all that land is protected from development and drilling forever, no matter who is in the White House.

Also, climbers should be thinking about more than the Creek when we think about Bears Ears. The amount of ancestral Pueblo ruins in that area is astounding. They have been looted by the local (white) population for more than a century, and now they're finally protected. It's the CLASSIC example of what the antiquities act was passed for.

Thanks, Alec. 

Brendan Armesy · · Fort Collins CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 85

Really awesome for the Access Fund to set that up. Really easy to send a letter!

khammer · · Kinda All Over · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

Bump.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

Bump again. EVERYONE should be doing this.

GA CHARLES · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER. I'LL BE SENDING OUT 'A CALL TO WRITE' TO EVERYONE ON MY AddressBK.

Nate Sydnor · · Moab · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 535

I am very surprised and a little disheartened to see how little traction this is getting. With as many folks as I see climbing here in the desert region, I would expect for this post to be at the top of the forum list until the comment period is exhausted, and tens of thousands of letters should be being submitted. As much time as people spend on here, it seems like nothing to take a few extra minutes to do something in support of our National Monuments. 

PLEASE take the time to go through one of the links provided and submit your comment. Also, someone local here in Moab just noted that if you submit a form letter, it is grouped in with all others that are the same and considered a SINGLE letter. Please personalize your message. Although Zinke et al are making it terribly obvious which side of history they are on, it will be a good sign for the climbing community to see people participating and making it known that they are doing so. Again, PLEASE submit a personal comment, and say that you are doing so in this forum so others will be made aware. We've all been privileged for so long to not have to deal with much of this, but NOW is the time for us to start. 

Michelle Lynn · · Moab, UT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 108

I wrote a personalized letter because we need to protect Bears Ears and Indian Creek. Here's the link again to the Access Fund's Tool. It doesn't take long.

Cindy · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 20

No time to write anyone right now.  I just followed the AF link and it took me less than 90 seconds to complete and submit. 

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Patagonia has a set up as well to forward a letter to Ryan Zinke.  Though the suggested content references Bears Ears, my comments and yours as well should address the various designations up for review.  These include not only Bears Ears, but Grand Staircase Escalante, and Giant Sequoia National Monument, where the Needles and the southernmost Sequoia groves in CA are located.  

Nate Sydnor · · Moab · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 535

Bump

Zachary Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 207

If you have time to be looking at MP, you have time to do this! :)

johnva · · ALEXANDRIA · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 5

less than three minutes, and you are at least trying to help.

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 170

Where is the actual .gov website?  I dont want to submit a template from the Access Fund because when I filled out the North Cascades one a while back, they stated that any templates would be kicked out.

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 170

Here is the actual area.  If you read the tips, it basically says that an original comment is worth 1000 pre-made form letters.  

It's easy to write your own folks, go do it now.  Tell them what you want from public lands [I told them they should buy more land if they want to use land to harvest/etc!]:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOI-2017-0002-0001

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply