Mountain Project Logo

Your Chance To Stand Up For Bears Ears And Other National Monuments

Andy Ngo · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 24

Sent in my comment!

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525

Commented as well.  Thanks for the update here

303scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 195

By the way, I just got an email from Patagonia indicating TODAY is the deadline.  The DOI website says comments must be received "before May 26."  This could be read to require comments by today.  However, as I understand it, the 15 day comment period should technically expire tomorrow.  However, just to be safe, you should comment TODAY!!

Nate Sydnor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,398

303scott is correct. Midnight tonight is the deadline...tick tock tick tock...

Brandon Gottung · · CO Western Slope · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,613

There are a bunch of other monuments on the chopping block that also deserve some support for the public. Here's a great chance to test our democracy - write some letters!

Hobo Greg wrote:

Have fun watching the outcome, have a bottle of Jim Beam handy.

Although your comment is cynical and this subject merits more seriousness than your snark implies (not that you're wrong), at least it kept this subject in view...I for one am hopeful that this issue resolves itself with enough public input, but if it makes it's way to the Supreme Court, the existing jurisprudence will be upheld.

Final countdown bump

Kory Kowallis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 580

Where can one go if they are not for Bears Ears?

Matt Z · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 161
KKFA wrote:

Where can one go if they are not for Bears Ears?

By "not for Bears Ears" I'm assuming you mean you do not support the National Monument designation rather than looking to submit comments for the National Monuments other than Bears Ears? The comments submission page is for all comments both for and against National Monument designation.

It is true that most of the forum posts on Mountain Project are pro-monument designation, but that doesn't make opposition to Monument designation irrelevant or illegitimate. Disagreement is fine. For many climbers though, public lands are an important personal issue both for the ecological and cultural importance and because the majority of climbing in the US, particularly in the Western US is found on cliffs on public land, whether USFS, NPS, or BLM.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Your Chance To Stand Up For Bears Ears And Othe…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started