What rope is this?

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 265

It is a gift from a friend and has lost its tag. Thanks!

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Sorry to change the subject: What carabiner is that with your AlpineUp? I'm curious which other ones work well with the device and why I ask.

Nate Doyle wrote:

Sorry to change the subject: What carabiner is that with your AlpineUp? I'm curious which other ones work well with the device and why I ask.

Not mine, just borrowed. I LOVED IT!

I'll pm you who to ask shortly. Just pm him, and I'm sure he'll answer any questions.

OLH

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Carabiner in that photo looks like Edelrid HMS Strike Slider FG

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Sounds good Old Lady H

amarius, that does look like it doesn't it?

Thanks all!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Bluewater lightning pro from the look of it. 

Any idea on size, other than fat? 

Nate, the "why" on the carabineer is that it is a very specific slot to fit into. Like a megajul, it is the biner movement that makes the device work.

OLH

The lightning pro is a 9.7mm rope. 

I had this same rope a long time ago, it was my first skinny rope and I was so worried about how it would hold up. Ended up being one of the burliest ropes I ever owned. 

John Wilder wrote:

The lightning pro is a 9.7mm rope. 

I had this same rope a long time ago, it was my first skinny rope and I was so worried about how it would hold up. Ended up being one of the burliest ropes I ever owned. 

Skinny for then? I'm terrible at ropes, but it seems about as fat as a gym rope. I think it's dry treated, too.

Edit to add: weighs a ton, too. I only have 110', and yes, I'll knot my end. :-)

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 819

Haha how did I know this thread would be about the rope I gave you, Helen?

It's definitely 10mm plus, 10.5mm IIRC. I want to say it was a sterling marathon something?  It's definitely dry treated. 

Maybe email Sterling? Or Bluewater? I remember it was one of those. Wanna say Sterling though. 

If it's a sterling, it's a really old one. Haven't seen that shade of red from them since the early 2000s. Pattern looks more like a Bluewater, but I could be wrong. 

Trevor. wrote:

Haha how did I know this thread would be about the rope I gave you, Helen?

It's definitely 10mm plus, 10.5mm IIRC. I want to say it was a sterling marathon something?  It's definitely dry treated. 

Maybe email Sterling? Or Bluewater? I remember it was one of those. Wanna say Sterling though. 

Thanks, sir. 

My climbing partner is in Yosemite. For mother's day weekend. And it's effing warmer there than here, on top of no climbing this weekend. Grrrrr....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply