Fitting 1st rock shoes (for Bigfoot)

Original Post
Jacques T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone! So I'm working on buying my first pair of rock shoes and I'm not exactly sure on what to look for in fit. I'm come from a mountaineering background so I'm used to fitting boots larger than my street shoe. I'm a size 14 (48) in regular footwear (I know I'm on the wrong side of the bell curve when it come to climbing shoes lol) I've been to a bunch of climbing shops trying on different shoes, I've found that la sportiva fits my feet and I'm somewhat partial to them. I was trying on a size 47 (13) and I felt a decent amount of presure on the more top portion of the end my big toe and my toes did curl a little bit (like they should?) I can't decide between a size 47 or try a 47 1/2 but the problem being that I have not been able to try a 47 1/2 on at any stores around me. How should they feel? Any input would be really appreciated!! 

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Buy comfy. If you are pulling on steep (overhung) thin routes, move to 'painful' (aggressive). If you are climbing <5.10, be comfortable. And good luck on finding 14's!

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 250

There's a fair amount of information on the internet on this topic, but the best description I've heard is that you want your feet to fill the shoes, without any air gaps around your toes. As for how much your toes curl, it's partly a question of the type of shoe (downturned shoes are generally designed for more toe curl, whereas flat shoes are intended for flatter toes), and partly a question of comfort. Some people downsize aggressively for better performance, while others target a bit more comfort. That being said, if it's your first pair, I agree with Muscrat; start out on the comfy side.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Not sure which LaSportiva model you are considering, Mythos will stretch many sizes. Tarantu-whatever will stretch 1-1.5 or so.

Jordan · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Definitely Mythos... I wear a size 48 in nepal evo's and I'm able to go about 46 1/2 in the mythos. They definitely stretch some.... The FiveTen Anasazi VCS also comes in big sizes too... I'm a size 13 US street shoe.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply