Peshastin sandstone

Original Post
Roy B. · · Entiat, Washington · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Has anybody climbed at peshastin pinnacles? Do you know how long that sandstone needs to dry after a rain?

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 360

Generally for sandstone, a full day is minimum. The area tends to be crumbly as it is. 

Roy B. · · Entiat, Washington · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Ok thanks that helps.

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 490

I don't think it matters wet or dry at the Pinnacles. I wouldn't trust any hardware in Swauk Sandstone, especially at the Pinnacles.  Crumbling pile of choss that makes you appreciate the solidness of Vantage. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 615

I've heard awful things about that area - with rock so poor that placing gear in a crack causes the crack to crumble before you even weight it.  The fixed gear is suspect too.  

Roamin' Buffalo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

10/10 sketchy choss. 

Curtveld · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 400

As much as I like a good dog pile, I'm not joining in on this one. I've climbed at Peshastin a number of times, toured the classics without a bad experience. And plenty of other folks like it, even if they don't make as much noise on the web. Totally different environment from the Icicle and Tumwater areas. Check it out before you make up your mind.

No doubt there are runouts and the remaining older hardware deserves skepticism, but a bunch of bolts are getting replaced and you should be able to see whats up there before you launch. Good luck! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply