Holcomb valley/Big bear conditions?

Original Post
Ben Snow · · San Diego, Ca · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Snowy or not? Campgrounds open? 

Zachary Hollifield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Snows long gone, Van Dusen Canyon is open, and the campgrounds are open :)

Camron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

How are the road conditions to Holcomb Valley, are things still flooded or can we make it there in a normal 2wd vehicle?

The roads dried out. You can definitely get back with a 2WD.

TacoDelRio · · All up in yo bidniss. · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 2,355

tight thanks

Kiel Swanson · · Irvine, California · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 55

Is there still a downed tree blocking the climbers campground? Someone had posted earlier in the season saying it was blocked...

The tree has been cleared!

Hikin' Jim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Does anyone know if Crab Flats Road (3N16) is currently passable by passenger car from Green Valley Lake to the PCT (Holcomb Creek area)?

HJ 

I have an additional question regarding road conditions. Which is an easier  approach to the South parking area via a sedan: Van Dusen Canyon or Polique Canyon?

Kiel Swanson · · Irvine, California · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 55

I have always used polique canyon Rd with good luck. I have an SUV but have never felt that it was necessary to make it to the south parking area. The road is gravel for more than 2/3rds of the way and the last bit sounds dry now so no puddles to navigate. There are always plenty of smaller cars up in the lot so i would think you'd be fine. 

If I were to drive my sedan up, I'd take van dusen canyon fwiw.

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 190

I used to use Polique, but I use Van Dusen exclusively now.  At least in 2016, it seems in much better condition.

I went out to Holcomb today in a Prius and we took Polique to the south parking lot. The road was fine. A little bumpy in spots, but nothing major.

I'll wait for someone to drive up via Van Dusen and report back.

Timbrey Lind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

We are a couple with an 18-month-old looking for another couple with kids to tagteam with so we can get some good climbing in this weekend at Holcomb. Anyone interested?

Dashiell Hammett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I have a related question: could a Subaru Forrester make it to the north parking area?

Tried to scout it today and it looked pretty narrow, but I'm also not sure I was on the right road. I did find the southern parking area and came in from Polique.

Adam Block · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 48

The north parking lot is pretty rocky and narrow. I'm sure high clearance isn't necessary if you're skilled enough. Though you drive so slow its about the same time as the South lot and walking in.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply