City of Rock Topropes for Kids

Original Post
Ben Ricketts · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 30

Anyone know of good areas for 5 year olds to toprope in the city?

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 60

The Indian chief is a great spot for kids  you can hang several ropes on the east wall  if you have a little bit of gear  there is one anchor for getting off.  Just left of the practice rock is a nice little slab .  Walking down into flaming rock on the east side of the trail is a Great Wall with top access, you have to be creative with anchors on this one.  If you want a good hike the left side of nameless tower has some great top roping it's a hike to get to.  The bread loaves has some easy access top roping by the Lowe route.  

The new guide book is awesome  checkout pages 23 and 35 .  Dave Bingham really did a great job on this book  

Aaron Stratton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Practice Rock is super good.

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 731

The east side of window rock has some nice 5.5-5.7s.

+1 for Indian Chief Rock

kevinhansen · · Albion Idaho · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 25
Aaron Stratton wrote:

Practice Rock is super good.

I respectfully and completely disagree. There is ALWAYS a crowd. Also the routes with the top anchors are 5.8 and height dependent.

OPTION #1 The best place for kids is across the road from Practice Rock. As you are driving into the City, you will pass Elephant rock on your left. Keep your eyes peeled for the very next rock on the left side of the road. The South face of this rock faces Elephant Rock and top anchors are easy to build out of gear or even sling some chicken heads (5.4 and 5.5).

Option #2 is on the back of Bath Rock. Look two crack systems to the left of the Re-Bar route and you will see that the second crack to the left of the re-bar is super tame (5.3 and 5.5). My children love it. To set up top anchors you'll want some bigger size cams. (Metolius 9's and 10's) and be sure to extend the anchor out to the edge because Rope drag would stink.

Now you know all my secrets.

Ben Ricketts · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 30

Great info everyone.  Thanks for the replies.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 60

Kevin is right I always thought that practice rock was a bit stiff for kids  I have set up top ropes behind bath rock (I forgot about that area)  it is really a great top rope area thanks for the reminder Kevin  I'll have to look at the other rock over by elephant rock  that sounds cool  

The climber on the left is climbing "Just Say Go" on Elephant Rock. Note Practice Rock in the upper right, and the rock and face I'm talking about is in dead center of the picture.

Sorry I had it wrong, it's the farthest to the left in the picture. 5.5 or 5.6

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply