To guide or not to guide?

Original Post
Jackson Wright · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

My dad and I are currently thinking about heading to the NRG either this weekend or next weekend and are deciding on whether or not to hire a guide for the both of us. I have been to the NRG once and did a little bit of exploring over at summersville and the junkyard but have not climbed there extensively. We were both told by a very respectable guide that the first step if possible at a new area is to hire a guide for the day and then explore the next day but i'm curious as to what other NRG climbers say. I climb ~5.9+ on sport and 5.6/7 trad and my dad climbs around 5.7 sport 5.6 trad.

Jonathan Steitzer · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 1,526

You'd be fine with a guide, you'd probably be fine without it. If you're thinking about it just go ahead and hire one. He could use the money and you'll probably have more fun. Plus you can make him carry the rope. Win/win.

Alex Kowalcyk · · La Conner, WA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

Depends if you get a sense of accomplishment/satisfaction from doing things yourself. Could be a very personal decision. Or maybe not so much.

Thomas Gilmore · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 5

Check out Appalachian mountain Guides or new river mountain guides

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Personal choice, but definitely buy a guidebook. That will get you much better directions and beta than the MP route descriptions. You can pick up books at Waterstone Outdoors in Fayetteville, they can also hook you up with suggestions. 

Derrick Keene · · Kentucky · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 90

My 2cents would say only hire a guide if you are not comfortable climbing the two of you. Scouting area's out shouldn't be that big a deal, but if you are worried about getting yourself into a sticky situation than I'd say hire a guide.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply