Mountain Project Logo

CO alpine rock conditions? Or other long multipitch?

Original Post
Sara Campbell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Asking for friends who are visiting from out of the country... They probably climb 5.11 ish trad, 5.12 sport (?)

Is anything dry yet?  Guessing not???

Maybe the Saber or the Petit?  Or maybe try the Sangre de Cristos?  Or is everything still snowy?  Trying to advise my guests.

Any suggestions for best sweet long multipitch within 9 hours of Boulder?  Black canyon maybe best bet??

I don't climb as hard as them so would be great to get advice  from folks who climb that kind of stuffs.  Thanks!

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

Lumpy Ridge was good to go. Eldo is fine as well. There is some long stuff at both with the option to link multiple routes in a day. There was a lot of snow in RMNP on saturday. 

Maybe check out Mary's Bust for Multipitch sport. 

Watch out for Bird closures. 

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 50

There is a lot of snow in the alpine and its still falling: Long's Peak Forecast

Justin Skaare · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 90

You're right, the black canyon, but desert towers are also in now.  

Sara Campbell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Yeah haha they were drooling over pictures of the diamond and I was like hmm guessing it's all snowy but I've been hiding under a rock lately, just finished grad school..

Maybes yeah a desert tower (N face castleton is shaded?) or the black would be the best place to get a similar experience?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply