Drugs and Mountaineering. I am reaching out to the Mountaineering community for help with my undergraduate thesis, if you have time to fill out my questionnaire it would be immensely appreciated! Than

Original Post
Isaac Bearson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 246

Filled it out for you; good luck!

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 265

Isaac, interesting questions!

I didn't fill it out (not a mountaineer), but you need to fix a couple typos: change "ladder" to "latter", and word "do you see as a solution"...correctly.

One thought, do you consider " natural" things, not available to earlier generations cheating, such as blood doping?

Good luck! Best, OLH

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50

woohoo UCSC! 

theres a funny story in the 2nd ed of the good the great and the awesome about a crazy many mile traverse in the high Sierra that someone did in super amazingly fast time while on, *ahem... other drugs. Pacific Edge has that book in stock too, dont let them tell you they dont, some of the desk staff dont know of the secret book stash in the back

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 246
Old lady H wrote:you need to fix a couple typos: change "ladder" to "latter"

vs

Haha    

Isaac Bearson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks so much for participating. I have corrected the typos as well and tried to clarify one of the questions that was poorly worded. Thanks again!

GilaShot · · Western Antarctic, New Engl... · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

If you can find one check out the March (I believe) issue of 'The Climber', issued by the New Zealand Alpine Club.  There's a pretty good article in it about this topic.  

christopher adams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

Hi. With such open ended questions, it's going to be impossible to draw any conclusions from your data, especially from a small sample size. The point of a thesis is to prove that you understand how to perform research. If you want to do well on your thesis I suggest revising the survey to have more specific questions that are not open ended, and instead are single selection multiple choice, or checkboxes on a panel. For example: Is the use of Caffeine in Mountaineering  cheating? Yes or No? Or, alternatively, "Which of the following drugs do you consider to be 'cheating' in mountaineering"? That way you can analyze your data in a more meaningful way.

Marcelo F · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Hey Isaac. Filled it out. Looks good to me. I would imagine that, as a history major, you are not looking to design a study with good methodology and conduct quantitative analysis of the answers, so I think the open-ended items and qualitative analysis would be enough for your purposes ("This questionnaire is a method of putting some of the ideas I am developing out into the world and hearing new perspectives on them"). As long as you are using the data you gather just as a guide for you own ideas and not as indicators of the general consensus of mountaineers' opininons on this topic, you should be good to go. If you are trying to report on the general consensus of opinions, then take Christopher's advice above my comment.

Cheers!

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

for first handing case study experience, it is recommended highly you are microdosing the LSD and free soloing the nose el cap.

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 230
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

for first handing case study experience, it is recommended highly you are microdosing the LSD and free soloing the nose el cap.

If you are only microdosing you will likely remember the trip better but there is a chance you will get scared and shit your pants than fall off. It is best to do high dosing so you can climb like you are in a gym with no worries.

christopher adams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

If we're talking about microdosing and climbing, 4-ACO-MET is the way to go. 1 mg for every 50 lbs you weigh.

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 602

I remember an "Ascent" issue of Rock and Ice, I think, where some climbers poached some peyote and thought spiritual shapeshifters were surrounding them on their climb.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply