Getting to and staying in Yosemite - NO CAR!!!

Original Post
Thijs Leegwater · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I want to visit Yosemite from the 20th to the 23rd. We will be coming from Berkeley.

There is only one challenge: We do not have a car or a license. We are trying to get there by bus. We've heard we can take Amtrak to Merced, and then the YARTS bus in to the park - is this true? 

Once we're there, we need to find somewhere to stay, that would be accessible to either YARTS or the valley shuttle. We're happy to walk a bit but if it's like 5 miles to the bus stop then it's obviously less than ideal. Does anyone know of locations that are convenient to both?

Any other advice on travel around yosemite without a car would also be suuuuper helpful. 

Thanks, 

Thijs

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Yes, the YARTS bus will work for you (and your fare includes park entrance). Camp 4 would be a good place for you--walk to Church Bowl and a few other spots. The free shuttle around the Valley will take you most places you want to go--the exception would be down-valley crags like Reeds or the Cookie. If you find the shuttle too painful, you can rent bikes at Curry Village.

However, since the bus probably won't get you there in time to guarantee getting a spot at Camp 4 on your first day, I would religiously check reservation.gov for spots at any of the Pines campgrounds that open up via cancellation.

You can also post on the partners page here asking for a ride and somebody will probably take you.

Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

not having a car is a huge advantage if you can't get into camp 4: commando Bivy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply