Tundra Buildout - platform, car living suggestions

Original Post
SJ KY · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 10

I bought a truck to glamp in.  I need some ideas for building it out.  Taco and Tundra examples welcome.

I have a 2017 SR5 6'5 bed Tundra

Current situation:

ARE MX topper - lined, fold down cab window, vented windoors

Bedrug

Situation after next week:

Decked platform system on top of the above listed

Here are my questions/requests for comments:

1) can people post their self made systems, with drawers, and state the weight?  (please only list if you have actually done the calculations and weighed parts)

2) does anyone have the decked system?  Opinions please

3) does anyone have an AC/Heater installed?

4) does anyone have an additional platform against the cab...on top of a sleeping platform (for a dog or stuff to sit on)?

5) waterproofing suggestions

6) non permanent window (blackout) covering suggestions

7) lighting and wiring suggestions

8) if you have a decked can you fit a battery in one of the cubbies?

I have a feeling this is not the end of my questioning...

John John · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Well, don't be like the other guy. He was about to hit the road w/out his butt plug.

Matt Stroebel · · Lakewood, OH · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 40

For the A/C heater I'd buy a Mr Buddy catalytic heater, I have one for a small a frame camper, it's way more efficient than a true furnace and since it's portable you can leave it at home in the summer. 

Unless you always camp somewhere with an extension cord I'd forgo the air conditioner, not possible to run it on batteries. Maybe install a fantastic fan or other rooftop fan to improve air circulation. 

If you are going all out and can afford it, I'd get a topper EZ lift with the camping package. It lifts your topper up a couple feet so you have more room, then it drops it down when you are driving. 

For blackout curtains I recently made myself a pair by cutting up blackout curtains from Home Depot and velcroing them in place. It lets you roll them up out of the way. Other option is reflectix foam

For the batteries i use two 75Ah flooded cell batteries, but if you're going to have them in your sleeping compartment I'd use the sealed type like optima batteries. Otherwise you'll need to make a ventilation system. 

SJ KY · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 10
John John wrote:

Well, don't be like the other guy. He was about to hit the road w/out his butt plug.

Well I guess it's good I am a girl so I already have an advantage. 

Gaar · · Springdale / Zion UT / Moab · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 695

No heaters, they're not worth it. Suck it up in the summer, park in shade

An electric blackent has almost no amps, and little draw. Only need it for  20 min before bed during cold months. Getting into a warm bed is WAY better then a heated cab and cold bed.

Had a simple deck platform but I'm fully rebuilding my rig now with cabinets and more seating room. Will post pics soon 

1.25" weather stripping between the toppers and truck bed will help with water not seeping in. I just picked up USB LED 5050 lights from amazon for 7.00 Work great

I use reflex, with cardboard for my black outs, don't use velcro or tape to attach it. That will only last a few months and then in the summer it will melt off. Find a good way to secure it. I mounted shock cord with rubber washers to my shell to hold the blinds and other things.

Just posted and asked a lot about solar and batteries. https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113100662/hello-nerds-complex-battery-and-solar-panel-question

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply