Mountain Project Logo

Training while recovering from sprained ankle

Original Post
David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 55

I sprained my ankle a week and a half ago bouldering (fell off onto a pad, just landed weird). My doctor is estimating 2-4 more weeks of recovery. In the mean time, what can I do to keep my fitness and work my technique? I've been hangboarding, pulling up, and leg lifting, but I wonder if MP has any other suggestions.

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,290

This is not the safest recommendation by any means, but when I busted my ankle I had a lot of fun climbing in the gym one legged (once my cast was off haha) it helped me technique wise and socially and mentally. If you don't mind people giving you that "wtf is he doing...?" but I didn't mind that at all. Perhaps not topping out... short up and downs, and lots of traversing. It's surprising and fun to see what you can do flagging out/smearing/edging the injured foot without bearing weight on it. Obviously being super careful. I had to talk about the whole disclaimer form thing with the employee at the gym at first. Other than that you pretty much covered other options (hangboarding, pulling up, and leg lifting, etc). Edit: secondary injury is the last thing you want...anyway hope the ankle heals up man, you'll be back at it and crushing in no time!

abe r · · Boise, ID · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 10

I biked.  A shit load.  Best of luck to ya.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply