Mountain Project Logo

Human waste on Potash Rd./Wall Street!!

Original Post
Aaron Livingston · · Ouray, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 330

Human waste is becoming a HUGE problem on Wall St. and non climbers are starting to notice!!! If you need to take the Browns to the super bowl (aka poop) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get in the car (it's right next to you) and drive the 1/2 mile in either direction to a campground and use the bathroom. You might lose 10 minutes of your day, but I'm sure you'll still get your pitches in. If that is too much effort for you, bring a wag bag and dispose of it in the dumpster at the campground on your way back to town. There is no excuse for this behavior. People haul their own shit up El Capitan for 3 weeks then hike it down for 3 miles and throw it away properly. Hold yourself and your friends accountable so we can maintain our access. If it is too hard to drive 5 minutes to a bathroom and poop then climbing is too hard for you and you need a new sport.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Due to the arid environment, I used a cat liter box setup when I was there and drove it back home. Campgrounds where I was didn't have bathrooms & water had to be imported.

That's a perfect example of doing whatever it takes to keep it clean thank you.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hmm I love Wallstreet but it is noob paradise. Perhaps the noobliest crag in Utah. I know you are a big advocate for Utah climbing, I see your name all over the site. I dont think that a MP post is going to solve the problem. Because Wall street is only going to get more crowded. Perhaps a few signs pointing in either direction saying bathroom 1/2 mile <--> is a more permanent solution. 

I agree whole-heartedly Greg. Signage is already being discussed but ultimately the BLM and UDOT have to approve it. Unfortunately a local climber took it on themselves to post photos of the poop to moabs local classified ads Facebook pages and other forums having nothing to do with climbing. The same person claimed to be anti-mountain project and refused to post here so I decided that posting on this site would be more visible to many climbers visiting the area and would be more likely to have an impact. I've also posted this on Wall Street's home page. I'll probably contact an administrator next to try and have this added to the wall street description.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

I think the admin route is a good start. Wallstreet is a special crag and it would be great to preserve it. 

That is an unfortunate response by that local, but not everyone can be a community leader. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Human waste on Potash Rd./Wall Street!!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started