FYI - Scammers on here, real bad!

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

So, I got scammed by a pretty slick person.  I had posted three guidebooks I was looking for.  After being contacted by a supposed Mt Project member saying they had one of them their boyfriend had left at her apartment that she has no use for.  I asked for a picture of it, (to prove she had it).  Sure enough she sent a picture of the book, used, the book she claimed she had.

Worked out a price, paid through paypal, and that was that,.. no book,.. no communication, no proof it was shipped etc.

I click on the person's name/link through the mt project email the person originally sent me, and in red it reads, "Account no longer active"!!!

So, now I'm in the midst of a paypal dispute.

Not the first time I've been contacted by a scammer via this forum, (in the past year I've had at least 4 bogus scammers claim they had gear, etc),..but the others were pretty obvious, this one worked a bit harder!  

Trevor Garvey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks for sharing!

Mattchoo Laurence · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

At least it was for a low priced item like a used guidebook.  Still sucks though, people are scumbags.  There's a special place in hell for fucktards like that.  Maybe he/she will die of an overdose on the smack that they used your hard earned money to buy with.  What was the username in the event that they try this again with the same or similar name?

Idaho Ian · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Yup, just had a suspicious transaction a week ago here. 

Seller was great at communicating, had photos, etc. and had just talked about the shipping 5 minutes before I payed. Used PP with 3% because user had no history (4 days old). Got refunded within 10 min, with no further contact from the seller (not from lack of trying). Looks like they were trolling for FF transactions. 

Honestly, unless the person seems to have a pretty stout history here, I don't mind paying the 3% and honestly recommend others to do so. You would be surprised how cheap that comes out for the insurance even on large purchases. 

mysh · · Breckenridge, Colorado · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

WTB threads seem to attract the scammers the most on forums. I also am on some photography forums and its a problem there as well.

Don't forget finding pics of almost anything even in used condition is not hard.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply