Climbing Gym in St George

Original Post
Eric Carlos · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40

I am surprised that a city its size doesn't have a gym.  Does the MP St. George community want an indoor facility (probably bouldering only)?

Boulderutah · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 75

I bet it would do well.  Especially during the ultra hot months.  I go there a handful of times throughout the year and I'm sure I'd end up going more if there was a gym

In the way too early preliminary research phase of looking into the possibility.

Anson Call · · Provo, UT · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 30

The city is mostly full of retired people, so the young and active population is much smaller than the size of the city would suggest. That said, there is a college there, and a lot of outdoor climbing. I think a gym would do alright there.

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 378

Put it next to the college and make it low-cost (bouldering) and it would do okay. Not a money-machine, but not in the red.

Mike S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

There used to be a bouldering gym in town. 

Mike S wrote:

There used to be a bouldering gym in town. 

The new St George Bouldering Guide I picked up last week still references it as being there.

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

If you build it, they will come.

Eric Carlos wrote:

The new St George Bouldering Guide I picked up last week still references it as being there.

I heard its still here, Its just not open to the public. It closed due to legal issues, but that's just hearsay and might not be the truth. 

I would love to see a gym in St. George. I would be there at least a few times a week. 

Andy Eames · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

You can climb outside year round in the St. George area. Might need to drive a bit further out in the summer to get up in elevation some, but it's still plenty accessible with a car. If you don't have a car, I can see how a gym would be nice.

A gym is great if your job/school prevents you from climbing during the day. Gyms are also a great way to meet new people. I think it would be successful in SG. 

Andy Eames wrote:

You can climb outside year round in the St. George area. Might need to drive a bit further out in the summer to get up in elevation some, but it's still plenty accessible with a car. If you don't have a car, I can see how a gym would be nice.

You can climb outside year round easier in Boulder but there are three gyms there.  

Andy Eames · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Gyms are a great resource and community hub, no doubt. 

If you're trying to meet climbers in the  St. George area, you can usually find them at the Desert Rat, Chuckawalla, and Black Rocks. There's a cork board in Desert Rat that's helpful, but it seems like most of the staff climb and know tons of climbers, so just talking to them can get you pretty far. They're friendly people and are willing to share info.

Josh Tokioka · · Cedar City, UT · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

There is talk in the community of one opening in Cedar City, lots of the research already done

Boulderutah · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 75
Josh Tokioka wrote:

There is talk in the community of one opening in Cedar City, lots of the research already done

I talked to the guy that opened up that ski shop in Cedar City (which also sells climbing, hiking, outdoor gear) and he said that the guy that wanted to open a climbing gym down there has since decided against the idea

Tamás Agócs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 16 days ago · Points: 0

Hi climbing family:)

Sorry for the off topic, i will make a new topic also but this is the first time to use this community. So with my girlfriend we are backpackers from Hungary and we just arrived to St.George and also to the States from Central America. We have every basic gears for rock climbing but from tomorrow we don't have place to sleep and we don't have too much money to sleep in motels/hostels..Is there anybody who could help us for a few days? It would be a really big help and also we can pay a little bit or help around if you need help. We would like to climb around St.George and to visit Zion and Grand Canyon National Park. Sorry for this but this is an emergency for us.

Really thank you:)

If somebody could help us please write here or on our whatsapp number: +36306562977

Thank you so much!!!:) 

Fanni and Tomi

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

St George is great and I would love to see a small bouldering/training facility there. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply