Mountain Project Logo

Hangable Hangboards

Original Post
Peter Hurtgen · · Dallas, TX · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 110

Hey! i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the type of hangboard that hang on cordalette in a tree or anchor point? im looking for one just to maintain finger stregth and warm up with. Any input is welcome! Also if you have one you dont use i would love to take it off your hands!

Stephen Felker · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 552

My DIY warmup board

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

Get a grippul, no hanging necessary. You can either sling it to weights or around a stationary object like a tree. Plus I can fit it in my carry on bag.  If you don't have something to hang from this is a great option, like if you have a crag without trees. 

http://beastfingersclimbing.com/

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

I agree with reboot. Flash Board from Tension is the best. Tons of holds for how compact it is. And the cord design eliminates the rotation under load that plagues most boards.

i got the problem solver Hanzo! we shall see how it does!

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

+1 for the flash. Just flew home with one in my carry-on. 

John Pikus · · Central Utah · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 85

Check out Awesome Woodys at https://awesomewoodys.com. I got a Cliff Board a couple months ago and love it. Great variety of holds and you can very easily change the angle.

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I just got the Peng Board from Red Ape Climbing. Its a small board with tons of different holds on it. I just took a trip & it fit perfectly in my backpack. Doesn't have a site yet, but has info on Instagram & facebook. https://www.facebook.com/RedApeClimbing/

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

Hey - I spend a lot of time in hotels and have been using the sic grip pocket rocks( http://sicgrips.com/pocket_rocks.html). I was really hopeful at first, but it have been really disappointed.  They are very complicated to use and  tend to slip while doing dead hangs. I think they might work for smaller climbers or if wanted to do pulls ups. But doesn't really work for a deadhang workout. 

Soo, can anyone comment on how these type of portable hang boards stand the test of actual training? I don't wanna buy another board that seems like a good idea but turns out to be a hassle.  

I really like the flash board, but i think it will only take a few times through the airport for a TSA agent to take it. Any experience traveling with this guy?

How about the problem solver and awesomewoody boadrd? Is the rotational loading of the board a huge pain? 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Rock rings

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Why would TSA take your hangboard? I've been traveling with mine in a backpack for 6 months and never had a problem.

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

Taylor what kind of hangbaord do you have? Something like a problem solver is no problem because it looks like a board. I am concerned that something like the flash might be a problem because it would be interpreted as a small bat or club. And they can justifiably take clubs.

I got a problem solver and like it! two good size edges and you can adjust the tilt on it. my only complaint is its really narrow....

Matt Fairfield · · Crestwood, KY · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 30

so I tried to grab a few ideas. This is my 2.0 portable hang board. It flips like the tension one without sliding and cost about 20 dollars. I have built a 3.0 that allows me to bolt new rungs with different finger hold on it on depending on what route I want to train/warmup for. It's 2 ft across and cost 20$ for the wood which gives you enough to make 2 any added input on holds and such I would appreciate. I've been working on figuring out how to use a router to make some small incut holds like the tension flash board.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Hangable Hangboards"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.